What Is Your Work Space Like?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know all of us come from different backgrounds and areas,
and have vastly different approaches and arrays of tools...
But we all have one thing in common, we all have somewhere that we build our creations.
This could be a cool way to get to know each other better.

Let's see what you've got!

A work space has been somewhat of an obstacle in itself these last few years. We have a smaller home without a lot of storage, so the garage has become the overflow area. Couple that with my bicycle hoarding, and it got out of hand in a hurry. (you may remember a pile of rubble in my Bonine build pics...and a twin size box spring backdrop)
This year, my wife had outgrown her photography space. The rent in our town is ridiculous for what she could get, so I offered up my garage. I knew it would take a lot of work to pull off, but it was the motivation I needed to actually do it. I took 3 days off of work over spring break. I filled an 8 yd dumpster, made 2 trips to the dump, and made 3 trips to the new storage unit (or bike garage).
This is how it looked the night before Day 1:

Scary! Right?! Here's how it looked after 2 full days of work:

Quite a bit better! (Except almost all of what was left got put on my side of the garage) Then, we got to work on her studio. We had the whole thing done in under a month!
I found salvage tin siding and made an accent wall for the entrance:

And here is the rest of her side:

So, I'm sharing this to show what I had to finish in order to compete this year, and also as a form of self-shaming for letting it get to that point in the first place. I will share a video log in my build thread later where I talk about it a little more and show my half a bit more.

A work space has been somewhat of an obstacle in itself these last few years. We have a smaller home without a lot of storage, so the garage has become the overflow area. Couple that with my bicycle hoarding, and it got out of hand in a hurry. (you may remember a pile of rubble in my Bonine build pics...and a twin size box spring backdrop)
This year, my wife had outgrown her photography space. The rent in our town is ridiculous for what she could get, so I offered up my garage. I knew it would take a lot of work to pull off, but it was the motivation I needed to actually do it. I took 3 days off of work over spring break. I filled an 8 yd dumpster, made 2 trips to the dump, and made 3 trips to the new storage unit (or bike garage).
This is how it looked the night before Day 1:

Scary! Right?! Here's how it looked after 2 full days of work:

Quite a bit better! (Except almost all of what was left got put on my side of the garage) Then, we got to work on her studio. We had the whole thing done in under a month!
I found salvage tin siding and made an accent wall for the entrance:

And here is the rest of her side:

So, I'm sharing this to show what I had to finish in order to compete this year, and also as a form of self-shaming for letting it get to that point in the first place. I will share a video log in my build thread later where I talk about it a little more and show my half a bit more.
Very nice work! Looking forward to the video! I showed mine a little in my second build-off video, but I will get some pics and post them up soon! :113:

Luke.

Since I don't have a garage or shop to use, dual purpose things come into play. I made a food prep cart that doubles as a workbench out in the dirty kitchen. The dirty kitchen is also the bike storage area and becomes a bike workshop when needed. I also made a box with wheels to store tools and parts indoors. It doubles as a serving table when we have get-togethers at the house. That's a few big feasting parties a month at least, here in the Philippines. I get asked about the bench vise on the prep table. I say it's for cracking coconuts open.

2e6ddnc.jpg

2qup4ht.jpg

511ws1.jpg

1y5t7n.jpg

Since I don't have a garage or shop to use, dual purpose things come into play. I made a food prep cart that doubles as a workbench out in the dirty kitchen. The dirty kitchen is also the bike storage area and becomes a bike workshop when needed. I also made a box with wheels to store tools and parts indoors. It doubles as a serving table when we have get-togethers at the house. That's a few big feasting parties a month at least, here in the Philippines. I get asked about the bench vise on the prep table. I say it's for cracking coconuts open.

2e6ddnc.jpg

2qup4ht.jpg

511ws1.jpg

1y5t7n.jpg
That's a great use of space!

Hot. Loud. Cramped.
Really old pics from 5 years or so ago. My Caddys out now so I'm just down to the 31 inside, but have a frame jig, really big welding table, bender, as well as other tools and cluttering it up now. Someday I'll get my cars finished and be able to just use it as a shop not storage!
garage003.jpg

garage002.jpg

garage005.jpg

Last edited:
My work space is under the shade of a mulberry tree.
When the mulberries are ripe they drop down on my work.
The main side where I work the most.
DSCN4645.JPG

The other side.
DSCN4646.JPG

Tools,paints and bike parts storage.
DSCN4639.JPG
DSCN4641.JPG
DSCN4642.JPG
Scrap metal storage,and donars.
DSCN4644.JPG
Bike storage rack(its full gen,but some bikes are out)
DSCN4647.JPG

The long bikes and wheel storage.
DSCN4648.JPG
About 12-15 bikes stuffed inside this section.

Garage, driveway, basement train room, deck, backyard are few places I've used this year so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20150509_094220583_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

DSC03435
by Nick, on Flickr

The garage is generally being used as a pantry, storage and more storage, but I get to keep a corner of it. I've got shelves for tool and paint storage and an $18 Harbor Freight workstand to keep me from kneeling on the cement while I work.

Last edited:
Where is that Mr Green smiley... :D
Yay... an addition to my work space. My friend and I went shares in this workbench...

WorkspaceTable.jpg

So now I don't have to G-clamp stuff to a concrete block :rolleyes:

Glen.
That has to be better for your back Glen!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back