What is this, thinking western flyer 24 inch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3587927911687835268a194981d0a88e.jpg
12a9f7c66a1cead9ccea4068dd1a06a8.jpg
3b9a7056b0496e050b3a314417b17772.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray built...the smaller stampings above the serial can probably give you the year (I can't see them clearly in the pic). That collar at the seat post/top tube junction on other models of murray built bikes is indicative of late 40s/early 50s.

I like it :thumbsup:

I think it does say mou, kinda hard to tell but that’s what I was reading.
what’s the 50 stand for?

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it does say mou, kinda hard to tell but that’s what I was reading.
what’s the 50 stand for?

Thanks for the info

According to the CABE thread, the two digit number constitutes a manufacturer model number. The large hand-stamped digits are the unique serial #, obviously.

Those forks and the joint bulge aren't consistent with a '62. There are two sets of Murray serial lists in that thread...I think this one was considered truer-ish :bigsmile:.

Murray serial chart.jpg

I think.

I have a '38/'39 and '41 Murray made frames that have very distinctive features identifying them as such. Their serials jive with this chart.

Last edited:
what’s the 50 stand for?
the two digit number constitutes a manufacturer model number
I agree 50 would be the model number, also indicating styling features, such as paint, tank, fork, rack, chrome, lights, boys, girls, youths, etc.
There are two sets of Murray serial lists
The early list is best for Murray Ohio in Cleveland; then they moved production to Tennessee. Another list (space bikes) starts with "P" in 1958, (skipping Q the 2nd time around). A lot of Murray bikes, there may have been some overlapping serial numbers (letters) for a short while.

I had an MOU-22 bike, which I believe was a 1955-U, Murray "Aero Line" model (22), built with a tank, but without a heavy springer fork.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back