What is the hardest part for you too find?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the hardest part for you to find for one of your bikes? Mine would be the gutter fenders and truss rods for my 35 MW Hawthorne duralium.

Most of the American parts are impossible to find here in Europe :) I faced this when working on Dyno Mooneyes replica. Even though Dynos are not particularly old, finding OG parts for Mooneyes or Tiki Taboo limited editions are nearly impossible.

Box-style drop bars.
PureFix-Drop-HB-3.jpg

I have the same problem as clamdigger; integral kickstand parts. I'm currently using a bolt on center stand.

A frame worth putting a lot into.
And one with the geometry I prefer for riding.

The banana seat, or some homemade variation of one, seems to be a viable option for simulating a longer top tube and a modern foot forward design without getting a foot into the front tire.
But then gotta rig up some support for the back of it. Need some of those folding canopy supports off a boat maybe...

I plan on building three or four this fall.
A couple of cafe racer style seats maybe. Like a short squared off banana.

A Spaceliner tank that doesn’t cost more than what I’ve got into the bike that’s only missing said tank, and doesn’t look like garbage.
The last one I almost bought was pretty rough and twice what my bikes worth.
Followed by a Monarch Rocket chain guard in faded red.

1" triple tree bicycle suspension fork. (Available in the US, but shipping to Europe costs more than the fork itself)
How about a 3g springer forks? They pop up quite often here in Europe, and majority of them are 1". Another advise: check Karim at Custom Cruisers Zwolle, i think he had some very special and cool fork like that for sale.

Nah, first it is way too expensive, 350$ if I remember correctly - the whole build was less than that. Second it is a springer, springers are available in 1" and I even have an 1" ahead Abraham springer lying around (that I hate and should finally get rid of. What I needed was a triple tree (aka double crown) suspension fork:
suspension-chopper-bicycle-fork-513216.jpg

Bicycle Designer has them with 100mm axle spacing and they cost 60$, but the shipping to Europe is another 80. The thing is my two 1" frames are nothing special so not worth spending that on a fork for neither one of them. If it was a frame like the Alumnaughty BO bike for example, sure.
But after I posted here I found out that if I wanted I could simply get a moped fork (they are 1") and simply use a moped front wheel. :)

Latest posts

Back