What exactly do I have here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0797f33a5da230b5dc4df40b16c29755.jpg
cd83079b54e63c1f55555e86e34cc4c0.jpg

Pretty sure this is what your bike would have had, its got a piece of plastic missing where the cable housing goes as you see in pic 2.
But if you want it let me know.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

There is also a push rod that goes in a hole in the axle, and a bell crank that pushes it in when you pull on the cable. From your previous posts, I guess it's not there. It's definitely needed for the hub to do anything but stay in overdrive.

There is also a push rod that goes in a hole in the axle, and a bell crank that pushes it in when you pull on the cable. From your previous posts, I guess it's not there. It's definitely needed for the hub to do anything but stay in overdrive.
I think that is present. I will get some close ups of that area

If you have those and find a shifter (not hard to find, there's probably some in the "swap meet" forum) you may need one of these if there isn't a cable with it, as the original cables are no longer made, at least as far as I can tell.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/shimano-hub-3-speed-connector-adj

I've got a bike with a similarly damaged shifter like the one Falstaff posted and it still works, but I can't swear that his will.

If you have those and find a shifter (not hard to find, there's probably some in the "swap meet" forum) you may need one of these if there isn't a cable with it, as the original cables are no longer made, at least as far as I can tell.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/shimano-hub-3-speed-connector-adj

I've got a bike with a similarly damaged shifter like the one Falstaff posted and it still works, but I can't swear that his will.
I don't know if mine works, the lever moves but that's all I've got.

I've done a bit of research on the shimano 333 hub and its shifters! (using one as a transmission for my motorbike:crazy:)You have four types depending on your bicycle. Yes four! I kid ye not!:eek: You have the muscle bike Click and shift one, you have the a thumb lever like Flastaff showed you. Actually screw it I'll go to ebay and be right back with pictures! *Bat man scene change sound effect*

Okay back with pictures!:banana:
First is the CLICK-STICK shifter! There's a BOAT load of these on ebay. A few reasonable... Most of them are white around the click stick logo. This one is different.
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Your common thumb lever style :113:
s-l1600 (7).jpg
This style which always confuses me, I am surprised a 3 speed internal hub bike has it as an option.:39: Wait does that mean theres a bikes out there a sprocket derailleur going an internal 3 speed hub?:wondering:
s-l1600 (8).jpg
Here's the black version of what I am getting.
s-l1600 (9).jpg
Here's a picture of the part that got away from me!:(
s-l1600 (4).jpg

And heres my complete package coming in the mail. Came off a 1969 bike.:banana:
s-l1600 (1).jpg

This should help you see if you're missing anything. (OR IF I'M GOING TO BE MISSING ANYTHING :eek:)

Hope these photos help! Or it not my silly post entertained you for a few seconds!:crazy:

Everyone here is amazing! Thanks for the photos and thoughts. I agree, The two lever option is confusing.
We are most certainly missing any sort of shifting mechanism and of cable. As well as any external brake system, assuming there should be one (but again, I am a newbie- basing my assumption on other photos with the 3 click shift that show external brakes). If this is incorrect - please let me know.

Also, is it worth locating the generator part for the light? Or should I convert it to a LED with battery? PS, a part of the light (internal copper) broke- can this be repaired with solder? I will see if I can get pictures, my phone is playing the no more storage game - where a mystery file eats up a load of space.
Still looking for serial numbers, and trying to convince my beau that we should strip off the drab olive craptastic paint job that someone did.

It appears the hub in the pic DrHax posted is missing a brake arm.
As far as lights go, any wires can be soldered back together. If the piece broken is the little copper band spring that makes connection with the battery, I'm not sure solder would hold it together long.

Those old generators tend to not survive, I have a few of them. Only ever had one work, once. I'd do an L.E.D. conversion, maybe one day you'll stumble onto a working gen. light and can change it out.

It appears the hub in the pic DrHax posted is missing a brake arm.
As far as lights go, any wires can be soldered back together. If the piece broken is the little copper band spring that makes connection with the battery, I'm not sure solder would hold it together long.

Those old generators tend to not survive, I have a few of them. Only ever had one work, once. I'd do an L.E.D. conversion, maybe one day you'll stumble onto a working gen. light and can change it out.
Mine's from a sears bike, those didn't use coaster hubs.. (Which is good for my uses. I do not want it going onto my motorbike for some odd reason going BACKWARDS engaging the brake and destroying itself.) So I purposely looked for that style of hub.

So yes there is a chance your bike had rim brakes.

Shimano 3-spd hubs come in both brake and non-brake types. And yes, there is an uncommon external 3-spd derailleur set up that attaches to internal gear hubs. o_OHaven't seen one in a few years but they do indeed exist.
:forum:

Shimano 3-spd hubs come in both brake and non-brake types. And yes, there is an uncommon external 3-spd derailleur set up that attaches to internal gear hubs. o_OHaven't seen one in a few years but they do indeed exist.

I've never seen a Shimano 3speed with a derailer set-up, but i've seen plenty of Sachs, SRAM, and Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs with cassette-style freehub bodies. It's also possible to run 2 sprockets and a rear derailer on many 3speed hubs that were never intended to run more than one sprocket--often, there's enough room on the driver to squeeze two 3/32" dished sprockets back-to-back. Been meaning to set one up like that for a while now....

If it is the brake type, would it be the pedal brake or? Just trying to sort out if this bike is missing brakes as well.

Go on eBay and look up shimano 333 hub, or even vintage shimano hub, or vintage 3 speed hub. You'll find a few examples. The thing to check is if your hub has the provision for a coaster brake.

Look at a few hubs with them on it then see how yours look.

I've never seen a Shimano 3speed with a derailer set-up, but i've seen plenty of Sachs, SRAM, and Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs with cassette-style freehub bodies. It's also possible to run 2 sprockets and a rear derailer on many 3speed hubs that were never intended to run more than one sprocket--often, there's enough room on the driver to squeeze two 3/32" dished sprockets back-to-back. Been meaning to set one up like that for a while now....
So that would make a six speed using a derailer?

Go with the LED's. The generator drag is annoying after a few uses. Maybe shine up the generator and have it mounted for looks.

Latest posts

Back