What brand/year old mens skiptooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only bought this cause i liked the stewart warner speedo and the cool chain guard. Anyone know the make? Missing the headbadge it skiptooth and has a very thin seat. post came with the girls bike im probally going to rob the wheels from for another bike.
20170714_163823.jpg
20170714_163936.jpg
20170714_163944.jpg
20170714_163944.jpg
20170714_163833.jpg
20170714_164151.jpg

Murray Mercury, no? Was that chain guard used on anything else? It's distinctive. I'd estimate late '30s-early '40s. Maybe a Mesinger saddle like this one?

Vintage-Mesinger-Saddle-Bike-Seat-10-Wide-_1.jpg

Killer speedo! Does it work? I see the cable is disconnected.

Last edited:
The fabric actually came off the seat pan on the truck ride home no clue where it went. I dont remember it haveing a badge or anything on the back tho im not sure if the speedo works or not yet i just got off work now ill probally go mess with it for a bit. Think i might sell or trade it off after i steal the speedo i hate to get rid of prewar mens bikes but i have to much stuff. Anyone know a fair price seems like the wheels and all will be useable just a little crusty.

Nothing wrong with those wheels, as far as I can see. Is there a ghost outline where the headbadge once sat? I think the original may have looked something like this...
90-02.jpg

I'd probably expect about $150 for a bike that age in that shape, but ask a little more and then "discount" to the price you secretly want. Most enthusiasts won't provide an estimate because prices vary depending on location. Elkton, however, is in my backyard.

chain guard looks ALOT like the one I need for a 1939 Mercury Pacemaker. Picture looks nearly identical. David. ps If is a 26'' bike i would sure like to talk about the chain guard.

Last edited:
Just buy the whole bike so i dont end up keeping it. Thanks for all the info i put it up in the for sale section cause i have to many and need to thin them down but i still wanted to know what it was. Ill look for the gost outline of the headbadge when i get home.

Latest posts

Back