What about a radial engine bicycle? Crazy?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about radial engines so forgive me if this is just crazy, but what about a R/C radial engine bike? Like the engines used in model airplanes?

Beyond just the looks and the 'different' factor, have you heard them run? The sound is amazing! I don't know if you can get a meatier sound from an engine that is less than 100cc. Prepare for ear orgasm. (Specs on this Seidel are below.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-I2HKxcKE

The history of this idea goes back to 1897 with this one made by Felix Millet. His is an in wheel design.
Felix_Millet.jpg

This Verdel is an example of one being done. It is a modern build, but is missing pedals.
0.jpg

178710195_e169f74cd5.jpg

Digging around a bit you can find something like this Magnum 5 for about a grand. Which is 12.8cc X5 = 64cc:
1602_dimg1.jpg

More specs:
-Configuration: 5 cylinder 4 stroke
-Displacement: 12.8CC*5(0.781cu.in*5)
-Bore: 26.5mm(1 043in.)
-Stroke: 23.2mm(0.913in.)
-Practical R.P.M.: 1800-9000r.p.m
-Weight: 2800g(6.17lbs.) including motor mount

Or you can get into this UMS-Seidel ST7-70 Seven Cylinder 4-Stroke Radial Engine
About 6 lbs. 9" diameter and about 7 3/4 wide. @$1600
ST7-70-Lg.jpg

Product Specification:
Capacity : 69.58ccm
Bore : 22.5mm
Stroke : 25mm
Power : 4 HP With 6.300 rpm
Weight : 2.6kg
Overall Engine Dia : 235 mm
Overall Engine Length : 198 mm

There are a whole world of radial options out there. Here is a vid with an overview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2VNWeEfgmM&feature=player_embedded

So what do you guys think? Crazy? Tough to do? What would it take? Now I just need a spare 2K!

Woah
JRL.jpg

The first WWI biplanes that were radial engines had the crankshaft bolted to the frame and the whole outside of the engine rotated with the propeller. This caused the engines to either be shut off or 100% full wide open because you could not have a carb linkage to a spinning engine. This is why when you see an old airplane flying you will hear the engine cut out several times. This is the pilot killing the engine several times to slow down. As more modern airplanes were built they reversed this and had the propeller mounted to the crankshaft rather than the engine block, so the engine didn't spin. Now you could have an accelerator linkage. In the pictures you have I see both types of engines, spinning and non spinning. I don't think I would like to operate a spinning engine motorbike as it would be full throttle all the time, Yikes!

Was looking for twin cyclinder engines the other night and saw a Saito brand 5 cylinder radial ~53cc(and the have an opposing twin).

cobrafreak said:
I don't think I would like to operate a spinning engine motorbike as it would be full throttle all the time, Yikes!

Errrm. Which other way is there to operate a motorbike?
See ya down by the cafe...

i hope you build it! i think it would be the coolest motorized bike ever! and if you think about the price its not to bad concidering some people pay over 5000 for just a bike.

Baron von Zach said:
cobrafreak said:
I don't think I would like to operate a spinning engine motorbike as it would be full throttle all the time, Yikes!

Errrm. Which other way is there to operate a motorbike?
See ya down by the cafe...
:mrgreen: this guy knows what hes talking bout 8) wana race? :lol:

cobrafreak said:
Those little radial engines are meant for RC airplanes. I don't think they would have the longevity you would be looking for.

I did get from the video above that they require a bit of babysitting and adjustment. But man how cool would this be! That sound, it is like music.

But being new to motorized bikes, I will start with an engine kit and work my way back up to this!

It would be good to talk to an expert in these first though for sure!

Love the idea but beware the older spinning motors, they have to spin to slosh oil around the motor, but I think that's only ww1 and before, don't quote me on that, my bro has a uncle that builds single engine planes, and is a pilot, and if you could do a from scratch build on that radial 4 stroke, well that would be amazing

As far as the always on or off thing, a bell clutch and throttle adjust arm would fix that issue

I didn't look but what fuel are these motors running?
Most model airplane motors burn the nitrometh, believe you me, I want to....but the little voice of reason screams, "BURNS WITHOUT COLOR, FLAMES ARE INVISIBLE!" But other than that little hang up, radial engines are awesome, tons of torque!

Like where this is going, I wonder if cooling the rear cylinders
would be an issue as they are not exposed to cool air. When
they are mounted in an aeroplane they face forward with air
rushing evenly over all the cylinder heads.

Have seen motorcycles with radials mounted straight ahead
but then you have complex drive issues, here's a pic.

http://www.rotecengines.com/Projects/FrankOhle/995-3FrntWheel .html

Ahhh the same issue harley and all v twins have, the back cylinder runs hot. With harleys they have 2 carbs(usually) and the back cylinder gets jetted richer. Believe it or not, more fuel burns....slower taking the heat out the exhaust.
If anyone needs this explained further p.m. me, I can overload your mind with fluid dynamics.

Latest posts

Back