Western Scraper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know deven if you want to make those one piece i know a guy who knows a guy

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

WOW! So sick! What a great start!!

I just threw my pipes into this BO without a complete perusal of the other bikes (my bad) and have a Stretch Flyer in mind...Rather similar, my apologies!

Oh well, they will be quite dis-similar in the end I'm sure :)
Just wanted to give props on an amazing build in progress!

Hey, there's plenty of room for other, similar builds. I'll be interested.

I acquired the aforementioned tractor seat at the big Turlock auto swap meet this weekend. Also did some welding and other small changes, and put the tank on so I could see it on.
IMG_5213_zpskb0oc4vv.jpg

IMG_5214_zpsmoco3plz.jpg

IMG_5215_zpssodsr6nh.jpg

The seat looks great! And I dig the coin topper on the head tube. This thing is coming together nicely!
We should have a sub-contest for the 'long bike' builds here....some cool ones in the works!
:cool2:

Your eye for design on builds like this is far better than mine, but it looks like alot of fun to build.

That is looking really cool. Love the tractor seat, and how you have done the handlebars. I do worry about the strength of the fork, looks like it may bend easy raked out like that. Have you been able to get some weight on it and ride it?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Love the tractor seat, and how you have done the handlebars. I do worry about the strength of the fork, looks like it may bend easy raked out like that. Have you been able to get some weight on it and ride it?

I have test ridden this beast around the block a few times. It is rideable, though my toes scrape against the bars on the fork, so I'm going to have to decide if I can live with it, or move them more forward on the forks. I am actually a little worried about the forks bending or the welds on there giving, but so far, so good.

I might introduce some type of gusseting if I can figure out a way to do it without ruining the flow and/or look.

I like that the truss rods echo the shape of the handlebars. But I imagine functional rods from fork tip to fork crown would strengthen the forks a lot. They're like a bridge truss.

Carl.

Added the chain guard. I'm not 100% happy with the bracket I made for the rear attachment point, made from a fork, but it'll work for now.
IMG_5223_zpsl15hjeqg.jpg

IMG_5224_zpsbrb4p2bd.jpg

It's now rideable, though the rear is slipping, so I'll have to solve that problem.

You've mentioned having a problem with your toes scraping the bars, what if you were to mount them to the front of the fork crown hugging the fender? That might give you the clearance you need and look kinda cool too.

You've mentioned having a problem with your toes scraping the bars, what if you were to mount them to the front of the fork crown hugging the fender? That might give you the clearance you need and look kinda cool too.

Don't know if there's enough room in there for bars to pass, but I'm looking at options. The problem is that I think the flow of the forks to the bars is so perfect where they're at, I really don't want to change it. I might try slightly shorter cranks.

Last edited:
Added the chain guard. I'm not 100% happy with the bracket I made for the rear attachment point, made from a fork, but it'll work for now.
IMG_5223_zpsl15hjeqg.jpg

IMG_5224_zpsbrb4p2bd.jpg

It's now rideable, though the rear is slipping, so I'll have to solve that problem.
This stance is just so cool! Hope you are able to rectify the pedal / bar situation. Shorter crank sounds like a possibility.
Will you leave the seat as is, or is there a 'paint' step coming once you get all the mechanics worked out?

This stance is just so cool! Hope you are able to rectify the pedal / bar situation. Shorter crank sounds like a possibility.
Will you leave the seat as is, or is there a 'paint' step coming once you get all the mechanics worked out?

I'm leaning towards going bare metal on the frame and forks, and leaving all the sheet metal with their original paint intact.

Latest posts

Back