Western Scraper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had this Western Flyer repop for a while. I believe these were done in the 80s. It's not really worth much (I traded a wheel set for it), but it's cool, and looks old, making it a good option to dice up. I'm planning on cutting it up, and slamming it down to the ground. It'll no longer be a flyer, but a scraper. Here's the starting point:
IMG_5163_zpshehrxycz.jpg

Looking forward to this Flyer being 'grounded'...

I'm not a big fan of "Scraper," but couldn't think of a better pun and/or play on the word "Flyer." Western Grounder? Ha.

I'm not a big fan of "Scraper," but couldn't think of a better pun and/or play on the word "Flyer." Western Grounder? Ha.
I'm right there with ya...
Maybe a guy could build a bike that looks like a scraper but is actually able to ride... (my plan with the burrito)
So now I have another thread to watch!

Carl.

End of the first couple of hours, and I've made some good progress. I'll reveal now that the main goal of this build is that the tires (well, technically the fenders) will be the highest part of the bike. Everything will be below 26".
IMG_5166_zps7bbg2af2.jpg

Subscribed. Looks great already!
I'll reveal now that the main goal of this build is that the tires (well, technically the fenders) will be the highest part of the bike. Everything will be below 26".
:cool2:love it!

End of the first couple of hours, and I've made some good progress. I'll reveal now that the main goal of this build is that the tires (well, technically the fenders) will be the highest part of the bike. Everything will be below 26".
IMG_5166_zps7bbg2af2.jpg
THAT is what many folks call a burrito. Silly name I know, but a cool style for sure. Seems to me (or at least for me) the hardest part is the fork. Get the top of the head tube below the top of the tire and still steer...

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

THAT is what many folks call a burrito. Silly name I know, but a cool style for sure. Seems to me (or at least for me) the hardest part is the fork. Get the top of the head tube below the top of the tire and still steer...

Carl.

See, I specifically avoided calling it a burrito, because the official burrito manifesto calls for no paint job, and a complicated chain/drive line, and I'm not sure I'll be following those rules.

I have seen no paint, and use/reuse as much of the original bike as possible when cutting them up. But the complicated chain line is new to me. Of course I'm here in the Midwest and we're the last to hear anything.
It's also my philosophy that constraints are meant to be broken. No one has ever accused me if being a purist or a rivet counter. I'm an independent builder on Rat Rod Bikes. You are an artist my friend. They can keep the moniker and we'll ride off into a Salvador Dali sunset with faux rust and flamed pearl flake paint jobs if we want to.

Carl.

Although i love burritos (they are very yummy with extra cheese and sour cream) i dont see his going that route either. Nor will mine as i want a straight chain line too. Deven we need updates and if u need stuff or whatever hit me up we can probably trade back and forth. This going to obc too?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Although i love burritos (they are very yummy with extra cheese and sour cream) i dont see his going that route either. Nor will mine as i want a straight chain line too. Deven we need updates and if u need stuff or whatever hit me up we can probably trade back and forth. This going to obc too?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

I'm not doing OBC this year. We've decided on an every-other-year pattern for now.

Started out by putting the wheels in place, to get an idea of how it's looking.
IMG_5167_zps0weceeyi.jpg

The girl's Colson frame I chopped up for my Alchemist Airflow donated a down tube for the cause.
IMG_5168_zpsnp9t2jsw.jpg

This is how I envisioned it:
IMG_5169_zpstfkakln9.jpg

Looks great, but here's the thing: I miscalculated, and this was not nearly long enough for me. Not even close. So, in frustration, I chopped it up, and will attempt again in a few days.

Latest posts

Back