Western flyer sonic flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
IMG_3528.JPG
ok I need your help once again , I picked this up and can't find much info on it . Any help on year would be greatly appreciated . Other that tires and seat or all here .
Once again thanks !

View attachment 50659 ok I need your help once again , I picked this up and can't find much info on it . Any help on year would be greatly appreciated . Other that tires and seat or all here .
Once again thanks !
60s lightweight bike I think. I know everyone loves that chain ring.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The builder is quite obviously AMF and the bike was re-badged for sale at Western Auto stores, which was their common practice. AMF kept notoriously poor records but I think it's safe to date this bike right around 1958-1962, based on the star ring and the chainguard shape. For all intents and purposes, this is the same bike as a Roadmaster Skyrider of the same era--you'll probably have an easier time finding examples of that bike for reference and a source of parts.

I thought it unusual that the star chain ring was used on a Western Flyer bike, but yours isn't the only example of this...

DSC02490Medium.jpg

The builder is quite obviously AMF and the bike was re-badged for sale at Western Auto stores, which was their common practice. AMF kept notoriously poor records but I think it's safe to date this bike right around 1958-1962, based on the star ring and the chainguard shape. For all intents and purposes, this is the same bike as a Roadmaster Skyrider of the same era--you'll probably have an easier time finding examples of that bike for reference and a source of parts.

I thought it unusual that the star chain ring was used on a Western Flyer bike, but yours isn't the only example of this...

DSC02490Medium.jpg
Thanks Rusty sprockets , I guess I will go through it and see how it rolls , not a real big fan of girls bicycles but I paid scrap weight for it to brother in law so what the heck . Once again someone here has an answer !

Right there with ya' on the step-throughs, but they will become more valuable as the supply of boys bikes dwindle. One need only check out the gender-benders posted here within the past few seasons to see that direction.

Harley was right...that star ring is certainly in demand.

I agree late 50's to early 60's. You also have the seat stem that tightens like a handlebar stem. That's why the rear rack mounts differently. No collar on the seat tube. The pedals look original and in good shape as is the rest of it. Parting it out for the chain wheel, and peaked fenders along with everything else may be a good idea, everything will fit a boy's version and is in very good condition.

I thought about parting it out but wouldn't know what everything would be worth......would probably unload it as is after a lap or two around the block . My brother in law gets all kinds of "junk" people are willing to scrap . This is the second or third I've saved from the crusher

that star ring is cool I'm running one on my huffy which lays the question I have is that original to the bike? obviously mine is not and I did not have a lot of trouble swapping it out and yes that chainring is forma late 50's early 60's amf built western flyer come to think of it I believe that is the exact bike mine came off if it is and you part it I interested in that rack if it has the round rocket looking shapes to it so I retract my question of it being original because it would be on this bike so I'm guessing year is 1961 yes as wildcat stated the seatpost tightened like a handlebar stem it was a cool bike I seen one with horrible paint going for 225 at an antique store so I'm guessing that one was worth about that much but for reference I paid 35 dollars for a complete one at another antique store so I'm not real sure on their value that star sprocket would probably fetch you a good 30 bucks in itself

Another thing you could do is find a mens frame of the same model, and swap over all the parts to the mens frame.

Latest posts

Back