Western Flyer Murray?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just picked up my first (non-modern) bike! I don't have a picture up yet, but will follow up with one.

It is a Kids bike, front Badge says:
Western Flyer
Western Auto Stores
M.O.M

There is a tag on the seat tube bottom (not underside) between the pedals that reads:
Murray Ohio MFG. Company
Lawrenceburg, Tenn., USA
11-78 *these numbers are stamped sideways*

Chainguard has a very faded: BUZZBIKE

Serial Number is on the side of the Head tube:
MO 2752 87T8037143

It is Red with BUZZBIKE in white. It has a black banana seat.

I tried to use the Murray Serial number references, but I don't see anything about serial numbers on the head tube. I also don't find much reference to anything in 1978 (I'm guessing this was manufactured in November 1978?).

Thanks for any help! It's an awesome looking bike!

MCSNEEKER said:
Hello,

I just picked up my first (non-modern) bike! I don't have a picture up yet, but will follow up with one.

It is a Kids bike, front Badge says:
Western Flyer
Western Auto Stores
M.O.M

There is a tag on the seat tube bottom (not underside) between the pedals that reads:
Murray Ohio MFG. Company
Lawrenceburg, Tenn., USA
11-78 *these numbers are stamped sideways*

Chainguard has a very faded: BUZZBIKE

Serial Number is on the side of the Head tube:
MO 2752 87T8037143

It is Red with BUZZBIKE in white. It has a black banana seat.

I tried to use the Murray Serial number references, but I don't see anything about serial numbers on the head tube. I also don't find much reference to anything in 1978 (I'm guessing this was manufactured in November 1978?).

Thanks for any help! It's an awesome looking bike!
Serial #s were put on the head tube in 1972 on Murray bikes, acording to your serial #s. your bike is a 1972

Thanks for the info! I have begun to disassemble the bike. This is my first ever bike project so it will be a learning process. There isn't much rust, so I'm thinking I will just clean the body parts and not do a full strip/new paint. Looks like original wheels - they have "M.O" stamped on them. Let me know if you have any advice for a newbie!

Photo_E154A3B8-2BC3-2D02-976B-DCA7C649B29A.jpg

Photo_BE689E99-3366-5DC0-87C3-5AF72CF3597F.jpg

Latest posts

Back