Western Flyer Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m new to the site. I’ve been following @rarrodbikes on Instagram for a couple years now just because of my interest in anything old, rare, and unique. I finally joined the forum after picking up this pretty cool Western Flyer at my local flea market for $20!
A3A60C95-2CD0-49C1-91C3-426F7035C4A6.jpeg

76D52896-BDFF-4F58-AA09-4DB547FF4B59.jpeg

It rides decently. I can tell the guy I bought it from stuck it together with spare parts sitting around to make it sellable. Everything looks nice but the front wheel is the wrong size, the seat is hard, and brakes don’t work. It would be cool to try to make it more like original except I kinda like the handlebars!

Welcome to the site.
It's mid 60's middleweight, murray built. Missing the tank and bezel.

You could go original or customize it, this is rat rod bikes. I say go crazy with it.

Welcome to the site.
It's mid 60's middleweight, murray built. Missing the tank and bezel.

You could go original or customize it, this is rat rod bikes. I say go crazy with it.
Awesome, thanks! I like the idea of having the tank back on it. I’ll probably find fender, a tank, and a better seat and do something crazy like put disc brakes on it. Not sure yet

It really does look to be a mish-mash of parts, ranging from the mid-1950s probably up until the '70s. The frame itself is firmly from the 1960s; identified by the very pronounced "spurs" on the rear dropouts.

That badge and chain ring was used in the mid-1950s, but the frame was not.

What are the tire sizes and the brand of coaster brake?

Good bones for a killer project but not valuable enough to struggle with a faithful restoration to original.

What are the tire sizes and the brand of coaster brake?

Good bones for a killer project but not valuable enough to struggle with a faithful restoration to original.

The brake says Komel Super
and the rear tire is a 26” and the front is a 24”

I really just want to put the right sized wheels on it and if it had a tank, try to find a decent one.

The brake is a Komet, made in Germany by Fichtel & Sachs. Probably original to the bike. Front wheel is a replacement, for sure. The added basket may have interfered with the larger 26" wheel?

The brake is a Komet, made in Germany by Fichtel & Sachs. Probably original to the bike. Front wheel is a replacement, for sure. The added basket may have interfered with the larger 26" wheel?
Really cool! The basket would be tight with the 26” wheel in the front; I might ditch it or make it fit somehow.

A great bike and only twenty bucks!

collection3005-1-jpg.501479

The brakes will probably work after a hub overhaul. the original tire size was probably 26 x 1.75, but without fenders you could put 26 x 2.125 the beach cruiser size. The brackets for the basket look like they can be adjusted to raise the basket a couple inches making room for a 26 wheel. It looks like they painted over the original red without sanding or anything so you might be able to see whats under the repaint. I would look for an emblem on the seat tube, but there may not be any markings. The model name was usually on the chain guard. Murray made that same style frame for many years, it's a classic. Sears sold millions of them. The serial numbers may show the year it was made.

That's true...it may never have been a Western Flyer bike at all. Reading off the serial number you'll find on the left rear dropout, may reveal a little more about its history.

Flip open the oil cap and put some light oil in the hub. I use 3 in 1 electric motor oil it's like 20 weight and comes in it's own oil can.
f9869db4-c4e4-40c3-89c2-4d8e9da0260f_1.7893cc6790aec425cacfbc715583c421.gif

Flip open the oil cap and put some light oil in the hub. I use 3 in 1 electric motor oil it's like 20 weight and comes in it's own oil can.
f9869db4-c4e4-40c3-89c2-4d8e9da0260f_1.7893cc6790aec425cacfbc715583c421.gif
The hub rides smooth, it just feels like it isn’t adjusted properly. When I pedal back to try to engage the brake it seems like it’s about to lock but comes short.

Two lubricants are required. Grease for wheel bearings and oil for the hub internals. The oil eventually leaks out and internal parts bind and stick. A few drops of oil and some ride time may free it.

Latest posts

Back