Welding tip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you have your frame all tacked together and your ready to weld it up. Now producing a
nice weld comes in several parts. The ability to weld...a good machine to weld with ....and
being able to get to what needs welding. Laying a frame on your work bench or clamping it
in your vise , are not optimum choices. So I looked for another solution. It was right there
staring me in the face......My bike stand. It clamps tight is super adjustable and lets you
get at all angles really well. So this should solve my problem.....maybe yours too.
DSCF0001_zpsd612ee1b.jpg

DSCF0003_zps83adf996.jpg

Excellent advice, getting the proper position has a lot to do with laying down a solid weld.

To add to it... if at all possible it ALWAYS helps to brace the hand your welding with and to use both hands if you can. Freestylin your welding hand in mid air with nothing to brace against is asking for bubble gum.... get out the grinder! :x

Worked really good. My welds looked better and it was a lot easier to weld when
your where you want to be.
DSCF0001_zpsefabfe0a.jpg

I tack it all together and then just finish welding between the tacks. Nothing special.
I usually tack top and bottom on a tube. Then weld some on one side and then change
to the other. You don't want one side to be really hot from finishing the whole weld. It
will pull the tubing even with pretty good tacks. I do a quarter a side,if that makes sense.

Uncle Stretch said:
I tack it all together and then just finish welding between the tacks. Nothing special.
I usually tack top and bottom on a tube. Then weld some on one side and then change
to the other. You don't want one side to be really hot from finishing the whole weld. It
will pull the tubing even with pretty good tacks. I do a quarter a side,if that makes sense.
That's what I was thinking of how to do it. Thanks for the tip, kind sir :wink:

Latest posts

Back