Was that an old ten speed ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many creative people here. In the general public not many people love those old ten speeds anymore. Has anyone done some welding or changes to that straight frame style to make it more exciting looking? My friend has a few laying in the back yard. They have those old turned down bars on them. If I pick them up should I toss those turned down bars or are they still in demand and cool? Any pictures of your stuff?

I have seen many creative people here. In the general public not many people love those old ten speeds anymore. Has anyone done some welding or changes to that straight frame style to make it more exciting looking? My friend has a few laying in the back yard. They have those old turned down bars on them. If I pick them up should I toss those turned down bars or are they still in demand and cool? Any pictures of your stuff?
Check out "Burrito" bikes they are usually made from old 10 speeds and the like...

Luke.

A couple of years ago, I pulled a few old ten speeds out of the Utah desert. I found that they were the basis for some really lovely boardtrackers. The 27 1/4" wheels, caliper brakes, and diamond frame were very compatible with the boardtracker look.

BA9332F9-352D-4CE5-BA72-08EECA9DCE2D_zpske0cnuxf.jpg

(the pic isn't upside down, its hanging from the rafters)

my younger brother got heckled and ridiculed so bad a few years ago in middle school when he rode a beach cruiser to school, a kick butt electra even, because all the punk nosed brats had fixed gears. he'd come home bummed out etc cuz he was the only kid in the bike rack with a cruiser. it got stolen, lock and one wheel cut, total bummer, so i got him a huffy cranbrook (who cares if it gets stolen) and got together with my older brother and we built this.

i don't know the frame, its an old lugged ten speed, we had it copper plated, it was all shiny like a new penny, we cleared the lugs and left the rest to kinda tarnish...... this ol thing still turns heads. its a single speed with brakes and a freewheel..... I'm not into the fixed gear thing.

I dont remember, it's the first step to chrome, so less than chrome, but I think it was more than 150 or so. It's been too long, kids all grown up now.

The headlight and the copper truss rods have been removed,
and a comfy seat was added.
Started life as a mid nineties Schwinn CrissCross hybrid.
Now it's a single speed smoker w/ a coaster...

Carl.

The headlight and the copper truss rods have been removed,
and a comfy seat was added.
Started life as a mid nineties Schwinn CrissCross hybrid.
Now it's a single speed smoker w/ a coaster...

Carl.
In your original thread, you had a girls and a boys bike that you wanted to do up so that they were a matched set. Did you ever do the girls bike to match?

In your original thread, you had a girls and a boys bike that you wanted to do up so that they were a matched set. Did you ever do the girls bike to match?
Cleaned it up put on some new white Duros, my daughter is cruising it down at ISU. Doesn't look like much which keeps it from getting stolen, but you can walk right up to it in a rack full of 30 + bikes with them white tires on it.

Carl.

great bikes. there always seems to be free bikes on craigslist just waiting for such a transformation....

Here is one made from a bunch of bikes welded together. It's now on display in the woods on the "Rusty Bike Trail". Someone pinched the original rusty bike so we put this one there and bolted it to a tree. Originally a woman's road bike frame and a Huffy Mountain bike frame. Bolted to a tree in 2015 so it's rusty now. Two speed manual Bendix coaster brake. Front is a suicide brake made from an old coaster hub. It hardly worked. If you race in the Marji endurance mountain bike race you will ride past this bike but few notice it as they are looking at the rocks and roots and not the trail side trees. A real prize winner.
IMG_0961.JPG

Here is a cheap 10 speed that I got for $25 and modified.

20210422_180039.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back