Wanting to build a 4 stroke motor bike what motor to use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well after watching a few videos on the web and seeing some of the builds here I have decided I would like to build a 4 stroke motor bike. I would be using a CWC built straight bar frame. I am looking for opinions on which motors are junk and plan on buying a kit that has everything needed but fuel. I would like to register it to be road legal as a moped but that probably wont happen and this will just be a toy. Let me know what kits worked for you guys and having access to replacement parts is a must. Lastly it has to be a 4 stroke motor.

There is a good Honda Clone sold with kits called Huasheng, or HS. Rarely requires frame mods. Usually bolts on. Most owners are very happy with an HS.

...with the abundance of old lawnmowers with verticle shafts; I'm surprised nobody has figured out how to get one to work on a bike frame; I'm still thinkin bout this, there's gotta be a way.
I'm sure horizontal shaft motors are better/easier to adapt.

There are plenty horizontal shaft engines for sale on craigslist around here. When the pump wears out on a pressure washer, the owner usually sells the motor. Lawn edgers usually have a horiz shaft engine and can be found on CL.
I occasionally see a horizontal shaft Briggs mounted in a bicycle frame without any frame cutting or welding. The builder uses a bolt-on mounting plate for a Huasheng Engine and adapts it. it is still a tough build, because you will need to add gear reduction of 3-5 to one with a jackshaft or CVT.
I think the first time builder is better off using a Huasheng kit and off the shelf gear reduction like EZM (avoid the Hoot gear box). To many problems to solve for the beginner using a Briggs motor on a bicycle (and the Briggs it too big to be street legal in most states}.

Vertical shaft 4 strokes don't work that well and usually blow up when turned sideways. I had a friend that tried to use them on his go cart and blew them up constantly and they never ran right even though he would pull them from running mowers. Has alot to do with all the oil sloshing to just one side of the crank case. anyways I didn't want to adapt anything I was looking for an all encompassing kit and was hoping to hear some opinions from people here that had tried them and what the ins and outs were.

...I realize you'd have to keep the engine sitting like it does in/on a lawnmower, but they work on lawnmowers and lawn tractors,...there's gotta be a way to get one to work on a bike....I'm still thinkin ...

Latest posts

Back