Vista Cruiser -- Completed!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Vista Cruiser -- With Progress in 2012!

So I had a spare hour tonight. I steel-wooled the spokes and used the last of my white enamel on 'em. They were never going to shine. Well, they might have, but I wanted white spokes. :p

7162287346_c4120561d6_c.jpg

7162286660_8d19c9287e_c.jpg

GODishere said:
I used that Metal paint befor and its really great stuff 8)

I agree, I really like the way it came out. That speckle looks deep on it. At $12 a can, it was darn pricey, but I think it's worth it, now that I see it.

So upcoming...
  • Clearcoat
  • Clean/regrease bearings
  • Assemble forks, crank, pedals, handlebars.
  • Chain
  • Tubes, tires, rimstrips
  • Final assembly
  • RIDE! :D

More progress this week and weekend. I cleaned up the seat and the bearings for head and bottom end.

7189409842_3929678b66_c.jpg

Some spray degreaser and a mason jar, and the bearings cleaned right up. I'll grease 'em and re-use 'em.

7189409296_e0841ddefb_c.jpg

The hardware on the seat was too rusty to shine, and not rusty enough to have a real patina, so I gave it a quick shot of black.

7189408638_dbb7d85b51_c.jpg

I sprayed a couple of coats of clear on the frame, chainguard and the fork.

7189407860_b4a4bf8370_c.jpg

7189407154_d6404c5492_c.jpg

And then for the heck of it I mocked up the frame, forks, wheels and chainguard. This is the most this has looked like a bicycle since 2006...

7189406540_9dd86f8802_c.jpg

7189405580_221dd80df3_c.jpg

I'm ready to start assembling parts together. This is great! :D

Very nice work :!: ....look forward to seeing it complete 8) .

Only a minor update... my wife looked at the painted frame yesterday, in the daylight, and pointed out that I'd completely missed painting one side of a frame tube, and on further inspection I found the paint was very light on the chain and seat stays as well. So, a little steel wool to rough it up, and a quick shot of red, and clear, and it's better.

I guess that's what I get for doing most of this after 10pm when I get a free hour after work, dinner, housework, kid-time, and walking the dog.

As an aside, I don't think anyone's really hanging on my every update on this project :lol: but it's going slower -- it's June in Florida, and it's just uncomfortable in the garage -- when night time lows are still in the 80's it's not pleasant to do much outside.

Looks good!! I like the color combo!! 8) :mrgreen:

Vista Cruiser -- With Progress in 2012!

Love the color combination. I've been such a slave to blacks and greys...I may have to try my hand at armed hued build!

So, it's June in Florida and getting more miserable weekly. Tonight was fairly pleasant, though, so I cranked open the garage door and worked on the Vista cruiser. Assembled, really. It took me a couple of tries (and a search of this forum) to remember how the crankset went together, but I got it working. All I have left to make it rideable is a chain, tires and tubes. I'd like to put fenders on it.

7373761684_50a11ac26e_c.jpg

7373761476_e06b4d1ea4_c.jpg

7188528417_5dd87b29af_c.jpg

Re: Vista Cruiser -- Nearly Done!

largek9 said:
Looks really sharp! The paint combo. really fits that frame and I like spoke detail, it stands out , nice work! 8) Tom

Thanks! I'm thinking I might cover the seat with some white cloth, I dunno.

Just a small update. I'm slowly picking away at the parts list. I have a chain and am looking for tires and tubes. It doesn't help the bike that we've been spending money like pouring water out of a boot to keep our cars on the road -- tires for my car, water pump and tires for our van, and now there's another leaking $200 on my car.

Anyway, I'm still picking at it...

It's Done, It's Done!!

Omigod -- the day I thought I'd never see...is here! I rode the Vista Cruiser! :D

I'm working from home this week, because the RNC has taken over our downtown, and my office is downtown. So, when UPS brought my final parts this morning I was here to receive 'em. I mounted the tires and chain, and RODE that puppy!

Before2 by sunliner500, on Flickr
Before...

Vista Cruiser Completed #2 by sunliner500, on Flickr
...and after

Vista Cruiser Completed #1 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Vista Cruiser Completed #3 by sunliner500, on Flickr

So, for challenges, the chain I bought from Walmart, which is supposed to fit all 1-3 speed biked...was about 6" too short. Luckily I found about 5" of chain left over from my daughter's bike build and spliced it together. Between that and the master link, the back wheel just fits into the dropouts. I'm a little peeved, because nowhere on the package does it say the chain's for a 20" bike. I looked. Still, it works for now.

So, even though it's a bit drizzly from Isaac doing its thing offshore, I headed out on the road for a 2 mile or so ride through the neighborhood. It rides nice -- rolls well. The fit is odd, though. The pedals are way close to the seat, but the seat is way far from the ground. I think it's because the bottom frame tube wraps under the bottom bracket, which moves the pedals up a couple of inches. Still, I like it, and I'm super-excited to get to ride it after six years in a box.

Next...I guess make one for my wife. Anyone got a 24" women's bike for $15 or so? :p

Latest posts

Back