Vintage Worksman Industrial Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I put up a long description of this trike on the CABE http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/vintage-industrial-worksman-trike.87777/ with a lot of photos, so rather than repeat everything here, click on the link and let me know any info on what I've got.
IMG_3728.JPG

Cool bike. I just bought one of these as well. The pillow bearings are just off the shelf parts, so they wont tell you much about the bike. Yours doesn't have the provision for the coaster brake hub jack shaft, so I'm thinking it must be an earlier one. Someone from Worksman might be able to tell you what year they added the jack shaft.

Your trike is probably from the 70s, maybe early 80s. Worksman serial numbers seem to have nothing to do with the year of production. I think every aspect of your "adaptable" is hott, except the springer. If it were mine, i'd be tempted to convert it to fixed gear, but that's probably a terrible idea. Clean it up and ride it; maybe look into a rigid fork for the front, if you can get similar patina going....

Your trike is probably from the 70s, maybe early 80s. Worksman serial numbers seem to have nothing to do with the year of production. I think every aspect of your "adaptable" is hot, except the springer. If it were mine, i'd be tempted to convert it to fixed gear, but that's probably a terrible idea. Clean it up and ride it; maybe look into a rigid fork for the front, if you can get similar patina going....
Thanks Bicycle808 - Right now I'm leaning on ratting it, but will probably give the springer a chance before swapping out for something else. I haven't had a chance to take a wrench to it yet, so don't know what options I have yet in that dept. I do know that I'll convert from hard rubber 26 x 1.75 tires to 26 x 2.125 pneumatic ones. I understand that the existing rims would take a clincher tire after getting the hard rubber ones off, but haven't explored that yet. Will also look into a lay back seat post and some kind of a lidded box for the back as well as brake cable and lever, since the front drum is the only means of whoa.

RRB member SSG sent me this picture of what my trike probably looked like originally. I LOVE that original patina and pinstriped fenders as well as cool period HD wooden box. Looks like this was displayed at a a major Harley event.
If mine was this pristine, a careful cleaning and overhauling of all mechanicals would be the order of the day, but since the head tube /fork assembly has been bastardized on (although I must say the alignment is spot on and while the brazes are pretty crude, a grinder and some file work could make them more presentable) I feel OK with taking some customizing liberties. The black rims and white tires are also killer custom touches. Also looking into this vintage aluminum JC Higgins (nice bike tie-in) ice chest whose footprint will fit where the plywood platform is perfectly.
Thanks for the comments!
Worksman-Cycle-Vintage.jpg

il_570xN.754753796_geog.jpg

Your trike is probably from the 70s, maybe early 80s. Worksman serial numbers seem to have nothing to do with the year of production. I think every aspect of your "adaptable" is hott, except the springer. If it were mine, i'd be tempted to convert it to fixed gear, but that's probably a terrible idea. Clean it up and ride it; maybe look into a rigid fork for the front, if you can get similar patina going....
You pretty much hit it on the head Bicycle808. Heard back from Worksman and they said they started putting in the down tube brace in 1972 amd mine is missing that. He said the chain guard looks older than the 70's but that's all he could say.

I put a lay back post on my vintage atlas trike, it helped immensely.
The seat position is too upright and I'll probably do the same thing once I start going through it. Right now, just collecting parts to get it done. I won that 50's JC Higgins cooler on eBay, so that will make a cool rear box. I'm using that H-D trike as inspiration so 3 cream 26x2.125 Duros coming my way, too. Thought about bigger tires, but looking more for a vintage look than custom look. Getting prices on black powdercoat for frame, non-chrome fork components and rims. Some white pinstriping will set that off real nice, too. Will wait on fenders for a later time. Just ordered front brake cable and lever/parking brake, handlebars, stem and a few spokes to replace those missing ones from ind-chuckz.

image.jpeg
:emo:I like the springer .....you're trike looks great
That's my vote... :grin:

Here are some mock up shots with the vintage cooler I won on the bay. Cost more to ship than
1.JPG
I won it for! Waiting for some parts to arrive and some free time to tear into it.

Latest posts

Back