Vintage Sears Spyder 5 Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing says you have to go with a slick. You could get a good riding tire. I always thought one of these would look good: http://www.ebay.com/itm/24x1-75-Tio...912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46382fc6d8
Hey, anybody still watching this thread? Does this mean that any BMX 24x1.75 (ISO 507) tire will fit the rear rim? We just picked up an old 24" single-speed girl's Spyder ('69, I think), and the rear tire is SHOT. It's 24x1.75 rear, 24 x 1 3/8 front. I've gotten the impression that 24"-ers from that time are similar to the 26"-ers, in that there are several "standard" 24" sizes. And a too-large size will not stay locked in the rim, and you'll never be able to mount a too-small size. So I'm wanting to make sure I get one that's right. Not worried about an "original" look.

And what about the front, 24 x 1 3/8? Should it be ISO 540 or 547?

Thanks in advance, anyone still watching this.....

Excellent, thank you! And the original rear tire is in decimal (24x1.75). Of course, no metric markings on the original tires; no doubt something to do with the Cold War, and the metric system, and creeping communism, or some such.....

Excellent, thank you! And the original rear tire is in decimal (24x1.75). Of course, no metric markings on the original tires; no doubt something to do with the Cold War, and the metric system, and creeping communism, or some such.....

That was my bike and I had a heck of a time finding a front tire that would fit the rim. Ended up buying a different rim from a friend. Luckily the back tire was in good shape.

08e1fea5662e47ee352e979968d092fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... I had a heck of a time finding a front tire that would fit the rim.
Really? 24x1-3/8" tires are easy, and cheap to find if you don't mind a chinese rider. So cheap, that I bought one, got a better NOS one, so never used the Kenda, but shipping costs me more than I bought it for to sell it!

The Grape Ape rides! Cheapest 24x1.75 I could find was a Kenda Kross with a white stripe from Wheel & Sprocket right here in WI. Came today, and I tried it as soon as I got home from work. Fits the rim perfectly. The old tire still had the original Dutch Vredestein tube in it, with an old patch, and it still holds air! Wife got the frame and other painted parts and chrome pretty cleaned up; still a fair amount of pitting on the ape-hangers.

Here shie is with the old torn Paragon (also Dutch) rear tire, shot a week or so ago, after the clean-up. So far, no stuck/frozen/rounded bolts or nuts; I was able to R&I the rear wheel, raise the seat, raise and re-angle the handlebar, and snug up the stem. I've only ridden it up and down the block after installing the new tire.

Oh -- does anybody know about that kickin' little rack? I've seen it in pics of other bikes, but no intel about where it comes from, whether it was an option when new, or what. I'd love to put a little laptop/tablet pannier on it and ride it into work one day....

Attachments

• Spyder1200.jpg
    Spyder1200.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
So, beings we're all friends here and I finally dove into the Muscle aspects of the hobby unexpectedly..

I have a boys 24" '69 Spyder 5sp with a few quirks.

One being I need the Guard, another rear brake for the twin brake setup with cord and handle., Correct front wheel and a suitable tire (Chinese or not, I don't mind. Willing to spend a little extra for a Purple Wall), correct saddle.. grips.. and that's it.

It's a magnificent rider, in great shape despite some crusty spots on the paint. Shifts like butter.

I'll get a picture as soon as Ive time to upload to Photobucket.

Any and all help appreciated here!

I understand the rear tire is 1.75 and the front is 1-1/8, reading the posts before mine, is that inclusive of all makes that fit that size or am I gonna have BB trouble? It was a little hard to understand the ISO talk.

Thanks!

FZ

Latest posts

Back