Vintage Electric

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly right, who would ever thought a 5-8MPH Vintage Cruiser at a speed of 50-55MPH! Scary but I like it! I may have to take Kev Higgins idea of no Chain drive/sprocket it's definitely in my way of my build, and possibly mount my Motor to the rear. I may need to mockup something similar.

Thanks Kev.
Send photos. I like it.

- by Gigmata

08/16/2015 Update:
Got the Batteries To fit in Center of the Frame. This is the Magic of Gorilla Tape! Total of Four SLA batteries. I managed to fit the controller in between the top and mid bar. I didn't want to loose the ability to pedal so I went with this configuration. Just a prototype and now I got to have someone fabricate a Center Tray or Casing of some sort so I can mount it to any bike I want to ride. Pics below, Video footage as well, I don't know my actual speed but let's just say I managed to keep up w cars on a 45MPH Zone Street!

--Joey

Last edited:
I believe it's a 48amp/12volt system. (12V/24AH SLA's? I'll have to peel away the Gorilla tape to confirm this evening). It's the Phoenix Racer 48/40 Model. Yes the Torque arm is on the left side/I want to install Trusses to support the forks. I've been taking it easy on the take-offs.

Last edited:
Good to see it up and running, your e-bike grin must be pretty wide. Sounds like you must have those batteries in series (48 volt, 12 amp) and are likely topping out at 30 mph which is plenty fast with a horseshoe front brake.
:soapbox:

Yes! Definitely Fun and exciting! For Me it feels like 100mph! Anything above 15mph on a Vintage Bike is already the Ahh Factor :)
Speaking of Ahh Factor, I need to find a Vintage leather helmet, My Plastic Modern one doesn't match well, lol.

Confirmed, My Batteries are 12V/12A. Total of 4 batteries. Controller is a Crystalite 4840. So if I'm running a 48volt/48watt setup, am I producing 2304watts?

Last edited:
As your batteries are in series to give you 48 volt, you have 12 ah worth of battery 'pack'. If you parallel them back to 12 volt, you will go slow but have 48 ah... makes sense? Total wattage of your system is calculated by voltage x amperage drawn by the controller (peak). I'm guessing 48 volt (52 volts charged) x the amp draw of your controller (likely 20-25 amp) = peaking on steep hills at 1200 watts. You'd need a 'Watts up' meter or a 'Cycle Analyst' to be more accurate. If you want a leather looking helmet, there are lots of inexpensive leather covered half helmets on ebay.

Thanks OCD, Your Input is always of value. I will probably never Max out it's Power Potential but riding is Sure a Blast! I've done a revised Rendering of my Concept of the Final Look I'm attempting to make my Vintage e-Ride. Photo below.
Thanks Again -Joey.

Your vision for the bike is a good compromise of new/old styling. When you wire in series the voltage goes up but the amp hours stay the same, when you wire in parallel the voltage stays the same but the amp hours increase. You will either have 48 volt, 12 ah or 12 volt, 48 ah. Both do not increase. If you want 48 volt, 48 ah you will need a lot more batteries.

Have you seen the 'Juicer' line of retro-motobicycles?

ranger-hero.jpg

My friend owns two of these bikes, they are beautifully put together and ride nice. His are about 3000 watts with 17 amp hr pack. They are a bit pricey but use the best of everything. :thumbsup:

Didn't know about these, very cool.

Latest posts

Back