Villiers beach cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well im not happy with my cranks, im fairly sure i bent them out too far. Maybe i need to get used to it. I will reserve my judgement until i ride it. If i still dont like them ill purchase another set, and bend them, but not as wide.

I bought some 6mm stainless steel button head allen keys and locknuts to fit my rear sheave. I bought a good drill bit, and i bought the only drilling compound they had. It was a liquid which i wasnt very keen on. Well my dill bit lasted about 5 minutes. So i need to go back to a different shop to get a new drill bit and drilling compound goo.

I only drilled two brackets before my drill was blunt (.... stainless steel). So i bolted two to the wheel and sheave to see how it fit.

It seems i made my brackets a little too short. The brackets are pulling out of shape to reach the sheave. So i need to either make new brackets, or modify these brackets. If i can get some more stainless at work it may be easier and more accurate to make new brackets.

Picture116.jpg

Picture142.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture144.jpg

Picture141.jpg

stocksucks said:
Lookin good harry.
Nice work on the rear wheel.
Was it difficult to center the rim for the belt?

Thanks, to be honest i have only fitted 2 of 8 rear wheel brackets. So i cant comment how easy it is until i have finished. But i think if you get your measurements right and all the brackets are the same hopefully the sheave centres itself. I will let you know

Well i decided i will just go with the hand jockey shift clutch..... and ive just started a 5 day break from work, so about 20min before i went to work last night i decided to draw out a clutch arm to make at work. I didnt really have a lot of time to decide what i wanted to do, so i just winged it, and if it doesnt work out ill just make a new one when i return to work.

So i made the clutch arm, but im not sure if im happy with it. It may be a little overkill, i dunno. I was thinking of using a longer engine bolt to mount this arm, welding a rod/tubing to the arm for a handshift, and a gate mounted to the tank. And on the other end i will just put an idler pulley on.

Im thinking i will drill lightening holes for looks, and cut and weld tubing in the holes for strength. I will do these lightening holes in the same size as the idle pulley bolt so i can move the idler pulley for adjustment,

Picture150.jpg

Picture151.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture148.jpg

I just finished my rear wheel/sheave. I learnt a lot doing it and if i ever do it again it will be a lot easier. The sheave seems to spin fairly straight, but it is a little out of round because my brackets were a fraction short and when i tightened the brackets it must have pulled it a little out of round. I hope its ok, i may need to add a tensioner on the rear belt to keep traction.....

Picture156.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture154.jpg

Picture157.jpg

I picked up another Villiers reel mower today.

Picture158.jpg

Picture165.jpg

Picture163.jpg

Its got a cool fuel tank for future projects. It would look good mounted under a top tube.

Picture162.jpg

This motor has a smaller, lighter kickstarter that i amy be able to use on this bike.

Picture168.jpg

Picture166.jpg

Picture167.jpg

I may use one of these handles on my handshift

Picture161.jpg

I drilled my front pulley. I think it looks a lot better. I will do the same with the rear pulley on the jackshaft im yet to make when i can get a 5/8 keyway shaft....

Picture198.jpg

Picture197-1.jpg

Yeah i think so too.

Last night i got to my mates to do a little welding, i got a bit done.

I partly welded my clutch arm, when i know its right, ill finish welding it, and also drill lightening holes in it and weld tubes in it to match the pulley.

Picture222.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Disengaged...

Picture214.jpg

Engaged....

Picture209.jpg

I also got my tank mounted and tank tacked, i will get someone i know to tig weld it...

Picture208.jpg

Picture216.jpg

Picture207.jpg

Im using this petcock but i will need to get it soldered on, i will use coppoer fuel line

Picture215.jpg

Picture224.jpg

I cut the rear triangle to clear the sheave. I will finish welding it with my brothers gas mig welder, and blend in those joins a lot better.... as well as the engine mounts etc, when i know everything is where it should be....

Picture205.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Picture204.jpg

Picture219.jpg

Picture217.jpg

I drilled out my clutch arm, i will just need to sleeve the hole with tube for strength. I will also drill lightening holes for looks and sleeve them too. And i will have a few different holes to mount my idler pulley. Its not as heavy as ii thought and i quite like it so i think its staying.

Enagaged...

Picture226.jpg

Disengaged....

Picture227.jpg

It lines up quite well....

Picture230.jpg

And my mockup mop handle shifter to give you some idea. The handle did move a little but you get the idea....

Engaged....

Picture228.jpg

Disengaged...

Picture229.jpg

I put a mockup tank to hold fuel and made a video of the bike running. In the video i took the throttle to about half way....... and yes i know ineed to tighten my muffler lol

bike is looking awesome! are you running a jack shaft to the final drive on the rear wheel? the only thing i see is that the engine pulley may be too big. what size is it?

Latest posts

Back