Videos from the april 2011 Death Race!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a coupla videos from the april 16th, 2011 Death Race at the Musseman P1 track in Tucson, AZ.

i started from the middle of the pack (about 35 riders) and i'm battling my way to 5th place overall, 2nd place china motor.

the winner was an electric bike, 2nd was a 10hp morini, 3rd was a 6 hp morini, and 4th was a track local on a 2.5 china engine. they all started at the front, and i was stuck in traffic.

had the time of my life. freakin' awesome race...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVrtYmJTdSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1D28yr1Bzs

WOW.... that looks like so much fun. I doubt we have anything like that in Australia :cry: . It would also be very cool to see a heap of bikes racing on a modern day boardtrack. I have a massive concrete velodrome for next race location near my house if anyones intersted in a trip down under. LOL
Bairdco i saw your video of the pits at that event and there were plenty of beautiful bikes. Id love to see more of the bike (at 29 second mark) hiding behind the bin with red tyres. That looks (from what i can see) beautiful!!!! Thanks for the vid.

i never did a build thread on it 'cause i was keeping it a secret before the race,

it's a '37 Shelby Airflow frame with 24" worksman wheels, a Grubee GT4 66cc with the 180'd jug (so the carb's in the front) and it's been ported, matched, lapped, etc...

32 tooth sprocket in the rear.

here's a blurry photo:

35371d1303114023-death-race-4-16-2011-centerline1.jpg

WHOA that thing is frikn awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!! Is that front pedal sprocket a rear chinese kit sprocket? Absolutley love the rear wheel, tank, exhaust. heck i love it all!!!! How does the reversed barrell perform?

Goes to show racing isn't always about horse power and who
has the most... The winning bike ridden by Endless Sphere member PaulD
used same motor i have in my e-bike, the Turnigy 80-100 130kv he
peaked during the race at 3500watt (output of controller) this
equates to lil over 4 1/2 horsepower... Well done
to all Congrates again to PaulD top effort...

@harry76 there is a large e-bike contingent in OZ alot of Endless Sphere members
are from Australia (myself included obviously by my nick lol) Here in Perth I have organized 2 group rides thus
far they are a tin of fun!, no racing as yet but there has been murmurs on ES of a possible event
being organized in NSW. I guess gassers will be allowed, wouldnt expect to be winning on a gasser against e-bikes
but still have a ton of fun ;-)

KiM

Aussiejester you are in Perth and i am in Brisbane, you may as well be in a different country LOL. It makes sense to have an electric bike as that is all that is legal in Queensland. And id like to build one someday, but they seem very dear and i know nothing about them. Ive seen your bikes, they are cool, but i have no idea how it works :cry:

for all you california folks (and anyone else who feels like traveling) we're having a race at Willow Springs on the kart track on saturday, June 18th.

i'll post some more info later on.

hey harry, sorry i skipped over some of your questions...

the pedal sprocket is some cheap chinese GT sprocket, not a modified kit sprocket. it's pretty crappy. after only a few days the peg-hole for the crank stretched out and now it clicks back and forth.

the reversed barrel set-up works awesome. i've done the same porting and whatever mods to a regular engine, and the backwards set up seems to make more power.

the hardest part is making an intake manifold and bending the exhaust.

the biggest drawback is melted shoes and burnt pantlegs, but some header wrap will take care of that.

don't think you're bike will fit in the overhead compartment...:)

i shipped a frame and fork to australia before, and i know it ain't cheap.

Nor did i harry76 but theres this wonderful thing called the internet and Google hehe Join
Endless Sphere forums if you want to learn about e-bikes, they are incrediably simple
plug and play kits avaialble very cheap... Hyena Electric Bikes in NSW would be the ]place to score a good hub motor
kit, all ready to bolt on...Yes they can be pricey but remember there is one moving part and batteries will last for 5-10 years.

KiM

Thanks Jester. That Hadron MKIV i guess is ok for $2000, thats all i need right. Batteries everything. And i quite like the hub motors as i refer the vintage style bikes and the hub motors just look like drum brakes. Any idea on the quality of these kits? How long would the batteries last? And how long to charge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im not cashed up at the moment but i can see ine in the near future, i doubt the cops would even bother me on an electric in Australia seeing as internal combution engined MB are illegal.

I may go take a look at endless sphere to get more knowledge about these things so when i have the money im a little more educated. Seeing as these are dear i guess its wise to get it right the first time rather then replacing parts.

Like i said id like to do a vintage build but i do have a Santa Cruz V10 downhiller that i dont use much that would be a blast with an electric motor. :D
Cheers

Latest posts

Back