UnOfficialMusclecar/Bike Buildoff

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some parts built today. 1/8" mild steel should do it.

P1012725.jpg

P1012726-1.jpg

I love to see things being made. Nice work BTW. It's difficult to explain what's in your mind to someone and to get them to fully understand it. But when it becomes a reality, (as thid did) it's like a pouring your brains out on the table. Oh, and it's true, "all minds don't think alike". That's the facinating part.

Thanks! :D
I got a little more done today. All notched and cut down. I changed the top to a hinge to give me some more clearance. Things are tight in there.

P1012737.jpg

The shifter handle will be 1/4" aluminum but I need a tab to mount it to. So I dove into[b] 'The Box of Steel' [/b] (no place for the anemic) and found some band iron.

'The box of Steel'

P1012733.jpg

This will work

P1012734.jpg

With a bend I needed 11/16" to the outside of the bend.

P1012742.jpg

1st gear, it's allright.

P1012746.jpg

2nd gear, space is tight.

P1012744.jpg

3rd gear, it just might-function.

P1012743.jpg

I think this might just work.

P1012747.jpg

Maybe you should SWITCH to an Oldsmobile theme........69 Hurst Olds (white and gold), big ole H shift handle.

Hey !!! whats with the keyboard, This is a musclecar build, None of that computer controlled redline, programed shift points..... :p seriously I like the chainring, I kinda gave up trying to find cheap hemi valve covers, but I will come up with something.

Gold Street Customs said:
I kinda gave up trying to find cheap hemi valve covers, but I will come up with something.

I don't think cheap and hemi are ever used in the same sentence except "Nothing for a hemi is gonna be cheap." :lol:

I would love to get in on this build, but there's no way I would have the time to actually build anything for the next couple of months. My kids and I race bmx, and we have a ton of big races and then our championship all between now and May. It is a great theme though, kudos to Gold Street Customs for coming up with the idea.

GSC - on the Hemi valve covers, you could cheat by using a pair of Toyota 2-TC or 3-TC valve covers. They look like scaled down Hemi covers and I bet you could scrounge up a pair dirt cheap at a bone yard. They came in Corollas, Coronas, Carinas and Starlets.

ej599 - that shifter is awesome!

I'll be following this build-off to see more of your bikes and also to see who comes up with what doll...I mean action figure...next. :mrgreen:

Thanks Bmxerpete.
My personal preference is to show every step of the build, like the T.V. 'Build Offs'.I hope I'm not hogging the thread, but here's a bunch more pics.
I got the cable attachment done. Just a short piece of 3/8" round stock with a stepped down hole to hold the cable drilled and tapped to 10-32.
I countersunk the back side of the lever plate and used a flat head bolt to attach it. the design allows the attachment piece to swivel as you shift.

P1012754.jpg

P1012755.jpg

I picked up a cable from Pedal Power in Middletown CT. Great shop. Everything works great, shifts nice.

P1012753.jpg

P1012752.jpg

Time to notch the tank. Heres a tip for the kids! When cutting tin with snips, use your snips to cut relief notches, this will allow the sheet to roll up easier and give you a nicer cut.

P1012748.jpg

P1012749.jpg

P1012751-1.jpg

Now to build the tank mounts.

Gold Street Customs said:
Hey !!! whats with the keyboard, This is a musclecar build, None of that computer controlled redline, programed shift points..... :p seriously I like the chainring, I kinda gave up trying to find cheap hemi valve covers, but I will come up with something.

You caught me these new fuel injected motors have me spoiled :wink: Not sure what the reserve is but I did see some on the bay for 9.95 off of a 51-58 hemi
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chry...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

udallcustombikes said:
Does using an Easy Button make it cheating?
I wish bout wore the batteries out on it but no real luck so far

I got the tank mounting bracket built and the shifter lever roughed out.

1 half of the bracket formed. The other half punched and marked for bending.

P1012758.jpg

Rolling with bends.

P1012759.jpg

Bending the ears.

P1012760.jpg

P1012761.jpg

Fine tuning the radius by hitting round stock in a vice with a hammer.

P1012762.jpg

I'm making the bracket upper tank mounting tab with adjustable height. I welded a 10-24 nut to the end of some threaded lamp tubing. I put welding jelly on the bolt that hed the nut in place while I tacked it. This protects the threads.

P1012763.jpg

Finished bracket.

P1012769.jpg

P1012770.jpg

I'll put a rubber spacer on the bottom tank mounting tab. Roughed shifter lever arm also in picture.

P1012765.jpg

I cut the steel for the rear tank mount. I want to put a front brake on too. With the 24" S-7 wheels that makes it a little tougher.

Did some painting and got some mock up done finally got some valve covers but have to find a way to mount them without messing up the frame as I switched to a 1954 Schwinn instead of the speedster so I can clear a fatter tire on the back
1267311018.jpg

1267310917.jpg

Thank you ej599 all the work your going is just awesome. I went for a quick ride around the block and it rode pretty good definitely takes some getting used too. Cameron thanks this frame is the one you got the winged badge off of I believe

Latest posts

Back