UNOFFICIAL FOLDING BIKE BUILD OFF CONTEST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bighit said:
ancient steampunk secret. it dosent look like that any more.
4294522170_1656be751b_b.jpg

now it's morphing into a pro gas steampunk pickup
Don't kid us here, your running moonshine from the Pine Barrens :wink:

GL

Nope, the forks and frame are a narrow size and short, so I know it would be pointless to try.

I think a bike could be steam powered, just burn something other than wood or coal to heat the boiler. Maybe propane, like those little green bottles.

No, I wont dominate this one. Im still learning about the paint process with gradual success. Its my main focus to learn that for the rest of the build. When I think cycle truck, This combination is what came to mind. You actually have the best frame for this build by far.

For steampunk, I came up with an idea a few years ago to combine my love for steam trains and bicycles. I guess Im just a bit excited about actually trying to try to build it. I reread my previous post, maybe that came out the wrong way. If I seemed cocky, I wasn't trying to be and I apologize if thats how it was taken. I was trying to give an example of where my creative ideas have come from is all. From the multiple hobbies and professions I have had, I have seen some amazing mechanical things that have sparked my imagination. Gaskill has the ability and skill to create anything he wants to, I have been looking at what he has done on other bikes. Meanwhile the rest of us try to make the most creative thing we can with parts we have or can find. From the talent I have seen on this site, There would be a lot of professional custom builders had they been given the right business oppurtunities. They would put Electra out of business. Ive been given permission from the boss to go as far out as I want to for this next one which means a lot of time and money. It will also be quite similar to several different proccesses he has used but combined in different ways. So being given the oppurtunity to do whatever I want to for making a bike instead of trying to make do with what I can pull off out of my junkpile, Something really creative is going to come out of it. So, again, I apoligize if I insulted anyone, That was not the intent of that post.

Wildcat said:
I think a bike could be steam powered, just burn something other than wood or coal to heat the boiler. Maybe propane, like those little green bottles.

A bicycle can definitely be steam powered but there will need to be a lot of machining of parts and it will need to be really engineered by someone who understands a lot about physics. Im not that smart or talented. Having the appearance of being steam powered will be a lot easier to pull off.

Far safer, Steam power can be extremely dangerous.

Anyway, back to this build, I drilled out and mounted the fender I found for the rear. It was the stock front fender from my stingray I used for a build in the last contest. I think it looks preety good but since the front is so wide, I might just run the rear.

I would love to see that rolling down the highway. You hardly ever see an old car here and its usually rusted beyond hope. In the summer months there are car shows and its like a candy store.

I found this picture of a cycle truck on line a while back. Its pretty much the style Im trying to copy. Except for the fenders. Im going with just a 1/4 fender on the rear and nothing up front. I know, my frame is nowhere close to this which is why I put the tank on there to give it some curvature style to resemble the signs they use to use. My mock ups are pretty much done. I do have some different hardware, thats really about it. Now comes the fun part of painting while the wife expects to see some home projects getting done in the new shop area. She wants to see how all the new tools can be used on more than just bikes. For my paint, Im going orange on the frame, fork, chaingaurd and rims since they do not match. The spokes, tank and rear fender will be black. The front basket will be cleaned and the rear rack removed. I have a Huffy cruiser seat and a chrome ding dong bell for it. Oh and some old grips similar to the ones in this picture. The handlebars, stem, seatpost, crank, and chain will be the only chrome on it.
cycletruck.jpg

Are you painting them or plating them?

My bike is in pieces, Im working on stripping the decals and paint off. I dont think I want to mess with the fitting that holds the frame pieces together. It may get painted as is. I just spent my monthly allowance at Harbor Freight, I like that store.

I tried goo gone on the decals, no use, they were too thick. A box cutter peeled them off nicely. Now just a good sanding and it's ready for painting.

I scraped the decals with a razorblade on a holder and then sanded. I bought these 4 inch disc wheels to get in places my flat hand sander couldnt. They got in a little better but the area behind the bottom bracket and between the tubes is out of reach. I have a dremel, I will try to find something small that goes on it. After all this work, the paint better come out perfect. Or I will cry.

so are all the bikes in this build off of the steampunk theme? more power to ya i am not into that look much however i can respect the work that goes into building such a thing. as shown in a few builds people draw inspiration from many things i myself mostly from hot rods and bobber motorcycles, things of that nature. good luck guys

wonder who coined the term steampunk? to me i would just call it h.g. wells (i misspelled that i know). but its all good bighit keep it up u got MAD SKILZZZZZZ :D

Update: Here it all is except the carrier and a couple minor things. Picked up the paint and primer today, had the bike shop pull the crank arms and my new tires were in. I found a few more shades of the hammered type and decided on these two colors. Just some sanding and waiting for the weather to warm up to paint. Now what to do about the orange flange on the front wheel?

2zjm2hc.jpg

you want a hammered finish? just take a hammer to the frame :lol: sorry for that one it was soooo there

bighit said:
i set off a theme with the hammered finish i see.
Nope, I had that in mind at the beginning. The hammered now comes in 4 shades, I like the dark pewter and copper. The same with some other things others have come up with, I already had thought of them, but was keeping them a secret.
:lol:

Maybe or maybe not, but if it is, it will be low key.

Were we supposed have a definite theme at the start? I usually do better when things come to me as I'm working on them.

OK, If you guys are all going steampunk, Im in, what the heck. I pretty much have my cycle truck theme down but why not add some flavor to it, besides, I need to practice some things with some of my new tools. My frame is mostly stripped except around the crank area. I need to get back to Harbor freight for some smaller wheels for the dremel. This bike is about to get really weird. I still like the look of the goldish colored chaingaurd before it was stripped. I hope I can get a finish like that to come out.

How can I go steampunk without any stolen ideas?

Seriously, mine isn't steampunk, at best it could be called hammered, but nowhere near steampunk. I have some parts laying around that may work for a steampunk bike, but the folder I have is too small for most of it.

Latest posts

Back