UNOFFICIAL FOLDING BIKE BUILD OFF CONTEST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 50 Bar

I got my basket from Ratdaddy this morning. I drilled a few holes in the attachment brackets and that's as low as it can go. I might actually drill two more holes to raise the rear a little so its level, that is as low as I can get the front of it. Then I have to mount the navigation system sittng next to the front wheel. Im not too sure I like the rear rack on there, it might come off.
100_0004-3.jpg

50 50 Bar

Honey, have you seen the other shelf bracket?
100_0005-4.jpg

I found it, its now a fender bracket. Is that a Jesse James tank on a folding bike?
100_0006-1.jpg

I have some cutting to do for that rear Stingray fender but Im out of bike time for today. The best part about this bike is....So far, I havent spent a dime on it. I either had the part or traded another part for what I needed. I have many more ideas to come.

Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode.

Are you sure that's not a breadbasket? When time comes to do a trike truck, Im going to do a bed similar to a stakebed wagon. Im off to the dentist where he gets to run the drill.

bighit said:
i see you and raise you one pick up truck bed
4291463420_42dd08dda4_b.jpg

it's not finished yet but you can see how i did it on my blog

You have me stumped here, How are you going to use this with your bike?

Gotcha, thats a nice finish on the chaingaurd too.

I raised the rear of my basket last night to make it level. Its all I had time for. I need to convince the wife I need a handheld cutting wheel to shape my rear fender.

A new Dremel is in order. I like the one I picked up new for about 30 bucks. It's easy to get more tools to go with it after you buy it, instead of buying everything at once.
The sound of a high speed instrument on metal is a nice sound, I know the other husbands in the neighborhood hear it are jealous of all the stuff I'm doing in the garage, but they can't get approval from "the boss" to convert their garage to a workshop. Drilling, hammering, the dremel cutting and sanding, along with the smell of rust and paint, it's great.

I have a dremel but havent been able to find a cutting wheel that is strong enough to cut metal. So im thinking a bigger device would work. There's a Harbor Freight about 5 miles away I need to pay a visit too.

50 50 Bar

I bought a grinder and cutting wheels tonight and ruined my first part. I dont know if ruined is the word but....My cuts were about 90% accurate. I got the fender to fit and then I dont like the look. Its too wide before the bends on the sides so Im back to the chalkboard. I wish I had this tool when I was trying to get the centerstand off the stingray. I would have done it in a tenth of the time it took me with my hacksaw and file. Speaking of my hacksaw, i sense it will be having a lonlely future. I LOVE POWERTOOLS

Never let the wife know you have ruined a part. It was "done that way on purpose". Wive's love to be an expert on whatever you are doing, so I agree with her assessment of my work, that's the way to get her back to her TV show. Otherwise she will argue forever about things she has no background on. It's better to agree so I can get some work done.

I noticed the gear ratio on my bike was pretty high, 52 chainwheel with a 16 tooth sprocket. Even with 20 inch tires, that's pretty high if I'm going to haul a load, other than myself of course. I remembered a set of 20 inch wheels I picked up for 5 bucks last year, so I gave the rear wheel a try. The tire with it is 2.35, it barely touchs the frame so it won't stay, but the wheel has an 18 tooth sprocket and it has 36 spokes instead of the Dahon wheel's 28. And I've got the Michelins on the way. So with 2 extra teeth and a couple chain links spliced in I was able to ride it and the gear ratio is good, not too slow but easier to get going. Now if the front wheel will fit the forks, which are narrower at the hub than any bike I've seen, I'll have a matching set. Both the dahon's wheels have rust on the spokes and these don't, they are like new, and I like the look of more spokes. I wonder If I should paint the rims.

bighit said:
does this help,
here is my chain guard getting its base coat as well as the seat quick release,
4293349874_552f0b6fed_b.jpg

i guess you could say it's full steam ahead.

How did you get this finish on the chaingaurd? I really like it.

i bet he used "hammered" finish paint. but right now it is so cold here paint anything and it dries like that :mrgreen:

We still have 2 months to go here, Dont make me go steampunk on you now. Ive been looking up a lot on the subject, it is very fascinating.

For now, it's my spare since my daughter has the extra car.
18cbgo.jpg

Too bad the tire is too wide, I like the fat tire look. I might leave the seat just like it is.
magpqr.jpg

Very narrow front hub
5xoozn.jpg

Man, These things are off the hook! This will be a tough one to decide.

Really cool thread.

bighit said:
dont make me go medieval and bust out my other folder.

I had one of those years ago, I didnt feel safe on it. It looked great but I thought it was very flimsy. I also had a Raleigh 20 I gave to a friend. He still has it with the redline tires on it.

I really liked the finish on the chaingaurd. Why did it get removed?

Actually, I think I will stay with the cycle truck theme for this build. Im not going to bust out any steampunk ideas until the big build off starting in April. I will use this build to work on painting skills which i do not have. I am presently constructing a paintbooth. Going with a steampunk theme has led me to many different build ideas. I am an faa licenced aircraft mechanic, an fra licensed locomotive engineer, I have steam locomotive experience, I lived on a sailboat on the San Francisco bay with many nautical experiences working on lots of boats, and I have had at least 200 bikes in my time. So with that, Im going to let your imagination go. My steampunk build will not be steam powered for safety reasons but it will appear to be. I will be up for going head to head with gaskill on that one. Money, space, tools, and shopspace are no longer an issue. I can not weld here but thats coming. I see this as art using bicycles as my creative medium. Bring it on.

Picked up some goo gone at the dollar store, I'm tearing it apart tomorrow and the decals go first, then a good sanding. I've decided on 2 colors for the bike and I found something to make the handlebars a little more interesting.

I see what you mean about being stuck with the bars and stem and not being able to do much with them. Are you able to change the fork to a standard fork? then you could use a stem and some different bars maybe? Or, can you just change the fork hardware and stick a stem inside of it and maybe some tall apes?

I found a fender in the basement today that is for a 24 inch tire I could use but its not as wide as the front. Im going to try that on this week and see if i like it. To be honest, Im kinda nervous about the whole painting thing. The cutiing, grinding and drilling is sure a lot of fun though.

Latest posts

Back