Unknown Bicycle, PLEASE HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought this bike last weekend. Finally got it home and i'm in the process of cleaning it right now. The frame has been repainted with house-paint. I removed some of it and the original paint is either black or orange.. with white fender trim. It's a nice bike but I cant for the life of me figure out what model or year it is. There was a Hiawatha seat cover on the bike when I got it but i know thats not really much to go on. The rear hub is cool but it's covered in grime and will need to be cleaned up later, but first I'm trying to figure out what it is. Any help with identification would be great and much appreciated!!
3se1kPDGz.T66czdOhbi5w.jpg

AlwlevFdbZFQMSvK4aWF.w.jpg

mfto0XAa6vkoEYBHz2us4A.jpg

cpRtQyna2jmtQFscoGKz7g.jpg

cyw3TBnCQM4Dd6PXzhb3LA.jpg

E0vvp9kF3kati4PR0WhaQg.jpg

The paint showing through
vnCSpaIxOASMTv5-0lKcsA.jpg

W5H3JKTiW6fgdkSPJuMbuw.jpg

z4Jz3YyywR17AHeBumh38g.jpg

Your bike was built by Murray-Ohio and approximately dates to 1946-47 based on the configuration of the frames rear-entry toe plates. It was likely sold as a J.C. Higgins based on the inclusion of the air-cooled hub. If you don’t mind taking a clear picture of the serial numbers stamped on the underside of the crank hanger I may be able to help identify it further.

Thanks!

The serial number shows this bike is one that Murray-Ohio produced for Sears (MOD-502). The model number is 215. I have recorded two bikes with this model number to date, the other has an earlier serial number (0546 vs. your 79211) and it has a J.C. Higgins badge. (The earliest of these postwar bicycles sold by Sears were still badged as Elgins.)

The MOS is likely for Murray-Ohio Sears and the L is the year code, I am still trying to narrow down the windows for these letter codes (and their year codes may signify fiscal or model years rather than calendar years.) I am still quite confidant at this point though that the bike is safely fro 1946-1947 and I believe it is more likely from 1946 and the first model bicycle that Sears sold as a J.C. Higgins. Beyond that I can add that the bike is fairly correct as is, I don’t believe the earliest postwar bikes had a tank option as they were trying to get more product out to consumers at that time; tanks and springers came later when the initial post war thirst had been quelled.

Thanks for all the info! After some cleaning today, the brake arm on the rear hub says J.C. Higgins on it so I guess that clears that up. Most of the grime came off of the rear hub after I pressure-washed it but I'm still going to soak it some more. As for the paint, it's not original but I'm still working on removing the spray paint and cleaning the parts. There doesn't appear to be any decals on the chainguard or the frame.. I'm not sure if there is a headbadge on the bike. There are screws like what would hold a headbadge but theres paint over them so I dont know if theres a badge under the paint or if there was just a decal.. but i dont think there would be screws to hold on a decal..

You’d be able to see the head badge even if it were painted over so someone removed it at some point. Fortunately you know what the badge is and J.C. Higgins head badges are relatively easy to find.

Latest posts

Back