UCB Hub Project- Perry Two Star B-100 Rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another addition for the UCB Hub Project. As with all of my rebuild how-to's, the hub internals have already been cleaned prior to this thread so you can see all the parts without a bunch of 50 year old dried out grease in the way.

Before beginning have a look over the factory parts diagram, courtesy of classicbicyclefanatics.com.
Perry_TwoStar_hub.jpg

And the UCB Hub Project cutaway
2010-11-15034723.jpg

Here we go!
2010-11-15021046.jpg

Begin by removing the locking washer and unscrewing the adjustable brake cone while holding the square end on the opposite end of the axle. You can now remove the axle from the rest of the hub. The cone on the axle is a stationary cone and does not come off of the axle.
2010-11-15023830.jpg

The rest of the assembly should slide out of the hub shell.
2010-11-15031608.jpg

Remove the arm side dust cap and bearings
2010-11-15023538.jpg

2010-11-15023519.jpg

Remove the brake cylinder and the brake actuator.
2010-11-15023457.jpg

To disassemble the driver assembly remove the snap ring, roller guide, rollers, and ball bearings from the driving sleeve.
2010-11-15022757.jpg

The brake actuator disassembles the same way.

Pry the dust cap from the other side of the driver and remove the last set of bearings.
2010-11-15022317.jpg

Here is what you should be looking at now.
2010-11-15022202.jpg

2010-11-15022214.jpg

2010-11-15022238.jpg

2010-11-15022246.jpg

Clean, inspect, and reassemble.

Re: Perry Two Star B-100 Rebuild

Well I mounted the hub from above on my Orient Express build and I was NOT happy with it. When riding it would take 1/2 to 1 1/2 rotations of the crank to get any braking action but less than 1/8" rotation to engage the drive after that, so it wasn't "unscrewing". I tore it back down and inspected the inside to make sure I had reassembled it correctly. I found no problems but it still wasn't working. I had an unbranded Perry Two Star that Double Nickle had sent me. It had the bronze brake cylinder like the one shown in the schematic at the top. I swapped it out for the steel shoe cylinder and it fit perfectly but it didn't fix the problem. So I pulled it apart yet again. I decided to swap the Brake Actuator from the donor hub and put it back together. That seems to have fixed the problem but we will see for sure once I throw the wheel back on the bike and take it for a spin later.

I have a few Perry hubs myself. Only one is mounted to a bicycle at present. Let me lnow how your brakes work when you get it back in. I am a little disapointed in mine.

I was drawn to them for a couple reasons. First, the typically english over-engineering, with the roller sprag driver and the spring-retracted brake shoe. In theory they should operate with less drag. Next, the big beefy form with a retro look curved profile and rich deep plating that looks old school. The downside is the wimpy little brake arm and the weak brake performance (at least on mine). Have you ever seen a skip tooth cog that fits though?

First off thanks for this thread. Its exactly what i needed mid disassembly of my first build. Im stuck pretty early though. The adjustable brake cone.....I cant get that thing off. What do you put on it? I put a wrench on the square end of the axel on the other side but it keeps slipping and im afraid im going to round it off. What do you grab hold of the adjustable cone with since it has those 2 semi circles on it?

I used the brake arm to loosen the cone. If you have a vice use it to hold the square end of the axle. I am lucky enough to have been given the spanner shown in the parts drawing, it has a square hole that the axle fits in.

So i put the thing in a vice and even the vice couldnt keep it from spinning. I feel like im getting dangerously close to rounding it off and the threads are getting a little chewed in the process. What do I do now? Is it reverse threaded or something? Im a huge guy and this thing wont budge. It seems like its even tighter now. Nothing spins now. Will a shop be able to do anything with it?

I've never owned a Perry hub, but I'm impressed with the roller bearings. Gary

B607 said:
I've never owned a Perry hub, but I'm impressed with the roller bearings. Gary

I have only ridden on one. Had it on my "Orient Express" build. It rode and stopped well, but it could be quite a bit of work to get it adjusted correctly.

udallcustombikes said:
I will take a look at my cut away in the morning to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

Ok so I took it to a local shop today and it took forever for them to understand what I was explaining but eventually they got it in their vice and it finally came loose. So its pulled apart. This thing is gunked up hardcore. Any advice for removing the dust ring. I tried to pop it out with a screw driver and the ring just appear to start to bend so I backed off.

Sorry to be so needy. My first build plus this thing looks like it was on the bottom of the ocean based on the internals

Take all the parts and soak them in the solvent of your choice overnight. I use gasoline but I DO NOT RECOMMEND it due to the explosion/fire risk. After soaking an old toothbrush will help loosen the stubborn gunk. The soaking will help with the dust cap as well.

This is just a random question out of curiosity. Mine does not have the double star on it but does say Perry B-100 England on it. Is it a slightly sifferent style or does that just mean its from a different time period?

I think it is just a year difference. I have only had three of these hubs- my cut-away, my rider, and one for parts. One was marked B-100 ☆☆, one was just B-100, and one was not marked as a Perry at all, just some cross-hatching on the brake arm. All were the same internally.

Ok this is a total noob question. Once i get my hub broken down and everything looks good what is the proper way to lubricate this thing and what do I use? Same question for crank bearings. I have no idea what im supposed to do. Thanks for baring with my extremely rookie question

cjperry81 said:
Ok this is a total noob question. Once i get my hub broken down and everything looks good what is the proper way to lubricate this thing and what do I use? Same question for crank bearings. I have no idea what im supposed to do. Thanks for baring with my extremely rookie question

A bicycle isn't like a car or a piece machinery. The revs aren't high so just about any grease will work for these purposes. I use black all-purpose grease, green teflon, grease, white lithium grease, whatever I had close at hand. Some literature from old hubs even said to use petroleum jelly. If you are rebuilding a race bike or a mountain bike that will be seeing a lot of rugged use then a specialized bicycle grease should be used. All the greases I use have their pros and cons, just have to pick the one that is right for your use, climate, and favorite color.

Ok im stuck on this hub and need some guidence. Here are the pics I took for the break down. I soaked it in gas like you had mentioned. It was in a safe place dont worry. It cleaned up alot easier although that dust ring still didnt come out on the one end. But here is my new problem.

883c8cc8.jpg

edb08c35.jpg

Latest posts

Back