U.S Navy Corvette

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was given to me today, they just wanted it out of their garage. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I noticed though down on the chainguard U.S. Navy, looks like original stencil.

Can't be US Navy. The US Navy quit building corvettes in the 1800s. And that doesn't look like a ship in any case.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Great find!

That decal looks like the ones that came with model airplanes and ships back in the 60's.

The fork needs straightened. I'll bet that Corvette shines like new with a cleanup and a coat of wax.

Wishing that was Navy issue when I was in the Navy in San Diego, CA back in the day!
The Navy did have some bikes. When they sent me to Treasure Island for school in 1989, there was a forgotten yellow Emory bike that I brought back to life. The problem was having to wear a helmet, there was nowhere to keep the Dixie Cup (white hat) so it would stay clean. That bike is probably still there, rusting away somewhere.

The Navy did have some bikes. When they sent me to Treasure Island for school in 1989, there was a forgotten yellow Emory bike that I brought back to life. The problem was having to wear a helmet, there was nowhere to keep the Dixie Cup (white hat) so it would stay clean. That bike is probably still there, rusting away somewhere.
Bummer! I was in '72-'75 at 32nd St in San Diego. A few years after I joined, the dress uniforms changed to the CPO style. I was able to keep my "real Navy" jumper with neckerchief and white hat!

Bummer! I was in '72-'75 at 32nd St in San Diego. A few years after I joined, the dress uniforms changed to the CPO style. I was able to keep my "real Navy" jumper with neckerchief and white hat!
I joined right when the crackerjacks returned and urinalysis came into being. Also had a big pay raise according to my chief. Bootcamp sailors getting 500 bucks a month!

I joined right when the crackerjacks returned and urinalysis came into being. Also had a big pay raise according to my chief. Bootcamp sailors getting 500 bucks a month!

For some reason I seem to remember $87/month as a Seaman Recruit...maybe my memory is slipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some reason I seem to remember $87/month as a Seaman Recruit...maybe my memory is slipping.
All the pay charts are online...if you enlisted ~1964, that would be right in the ballpark. Personally, I went to (real) boot camp in '87...so, it says I was over $600/mo! I seem to remember my leave after boot camp started with around $1100 (after taxes) in my pocket...a week later I was broke :(, but I had fun!

Jason

My Daughter is beginning her second year at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. She gets $100.- per month after deductions. Deductions are books, school, uniforms, and food, etc. And that makes me interested in this bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the pay charts are online...if you enlisted ~1964, that would be right in the ballpark. Personally, I went to (real) boot camp in '87...so, it says I was over $600/mo! I seem to remember my leave after boot camp started with around $1100 (after taxes) in my pocket...a week later I was broke :(, but I had fun!

Jason

1963 for me USNR, active duty '65-'67 + combat pay. A long time ago, I'd do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Corvette showed up in the catalog in 1955, yours might be an early one.
1955_05.jpg

Latest posts

Back