Tyranny & Mutation / '36 Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this offset bottom bracket is interesting...
eec8ac9de7d53f214b231d4aed58f2c3.jpg
f9c48e5e60042f01ffe1eac336f8b2eb.jpg

Carl.

I can't answer your shifter question with absolute authority, but let's just say I have a very good hunch it will work flawlessly. Three-speeds are mostly concerned with the adjustment for second gear. They aren't particularly sensitive to movement inboard or outboard for the others.

So I've been lightly sanding the frame, and as it gets boring (although it's starting to shine and I haven't even polished it yet), I stopped and test fit a crank in the offset BB.
So with a couple extra spacers (because the bearing cups are deep) and a dogleg crank I should be fine. It's another part I don't have but I know a guy... I also test fit a new headset in the head tube and it fits fine, so that's one thing scratched off the list of needs.
KIMG1693.JPG

Anybody know an easy way to pop rivets out of a head badge without hurting the badge?
KIMG1692.JPG

They've got a pretty good head on them I think I can nibble them out with endcutters. But I'm curious if there's a better way?

Carl.

Anybody know an easy way to pop rivets out of a head badge without hurting the badge?
View attachment 68759
They've got a pretty good head on them I think I can nibble them out with endcutters. But I'm curious if there's a better way?
Just center punch and drill. Start small and step up in size until the head comes off :thumbsup:.

Jason

Day 4 punch list:
finishing sanding and polish on frame
fabricate springer seat post
find a rear rim and lace to 3CC hub
find a shifter
find a dogleg crank and SK sprocket
fork?
bars?
seat?

I've plenty to look for, but plenty of time...

Carl.

Day 4 punch list:
finishing sanding and polish on frame
fabricate springer seat post
find a rear rim and lace to 3CC hub
find a shifter
find a dogleg crank and SK sprocket
fork?
bars?
seat?

I've plenty to look for, but plenty of time...

Carl.
I have a lot of similar on my punch list...

On the offset. My frame has a similar offset. The seat post now isn't center of the gusset, but also offset.

Building..... Riding.....

So I've been lightly sanding the frame, and as it gets boring (although it's starting to shine and I haven't even polished it yet), I stopped and test fit a crank in the offset BB.
So with a couple extra spacers (because the bearing cups are deep) and a dogleg crank I should be fine. It's another part I don't have but I know a guy... I also test fit a new headset in the head tube and it fits fine, so that's one thing scratched off the list of needs.
View attachment 68758
View attachment 68759

Carl.
I have pried these out from the inside of the head tube on some steel frames before. Not sure if I would try it on the aluminum though.

I sent you a link to the page of my SaltHammer build where I started my polishing process. First pass, I started with 1000 grit wetsand and rubbing compound. Followed by red buff wheel on a drill, followed by MAAS polishing creme. This got me a long way, but I did a few deeper polishing steps afterwards.

I sent you a link to the page of my SaltHammer build where I started my polishing process. First pass, I started with 1000 grit wetsand and rubbing compound. Followed by red buff wheel on a drill, followed by MAAS polishing creme. This got me a long way, but I did a few deeper polishing steps afterwards.
Thanks. My guess is your frame was in better shape than what I've started with. Mine has major oxidation and some pitting and scratches on it, but is cleaning up well with an 80 grit dust channeling 3M sandblaster pad and a damp rag to keep the dust down. I know I have a long way to go, so it's a little at a time and then do something else... I've resisted any type of elec. or air sander but I did use a brass wire wheel in my drill VERY sparingly/lightly in a couple of tight spots.

I'm still amazed at how light this frame is. I also agree that a longer shaft on the seat post will help support it better and spread the torque thru the whole seat tube rather than all at the top... I loved Salt Hammer and will enjoy going back over the build.

Carl.

Your cast sections look pristine compared to my starting point. :D

20160428_135054.jpg

I can't wait to see you put your cool spin on this Silver King!

Your cast sections look pristine compared to my starting point. :D

View attachment 68804
I did see you started with some crust for sure.
But I have some heavy pitting...
KIMG1696.JPG
It's worse up the down tube towards the fork.
But if I can get close to the shine you have on Salt Hammer I'll be ecstatic. But at this point, until I decide what finish I want on the tubes, I won't be applying polish just yet.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back