RRBBO13 Tycoon - Almost finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying not to get distracted, but on Saturday evening, I got a rust-free cab for my bike hauler, so I spent Sunday starting to gut the old one.
IMG_20180512_211540_223.jpg

Not much to report this weekend. Just a bunch of boring paint-stripping to prep for fab/welding to come. A more bits and pieces are showing up - trying to keep much of this build with Schwinn or hand-fabricated parts.

I apologize for my lack of progress. Didn't get anything done on the Flying Pig this last weekend, as I spent it working on both my Datsun and a bicycle project that I have been "nearly done with" for about a year now.View attachment 77655

Nice Fat Bull dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for my lack of progress. Didn't get anything done on the Flying Pig this last weekend, as I spent it working on both my Datsun and a bicycle project that I have been "nearly done with" for about a year now.View attachment 77655
That's very cool!

Looking forward to seeing your frame come together.

I've been continuing to peel back the layers on my frame bits and pieces, and I'm uncovering more and more cracked brazes and questionable tubing integrity on the parts I cut from that '51 DX. It may be time for this build to hang a left at Albequerque.
I've stripped a bunch of parts from my Typhoon in preparation for a change in direction, but I'm going to see if I can score something when I meet up with local folks for a ride in Oxnard, tomorrow. Who knows what I may come up with?

Good luck in Oxnard. May the rat rod gods of serendipity be with you.

Saturday was a great ride, and I sold my TSP Oldster with the Zundapp girder fork on it. I failed to find a new frame for the stretch project though, so I am going to be changing directions this week. We're allowed to change horses once mid-stream/build-off, so this is my project swap.

We'll keep the 27.5 mag wheels and tires, the cool Hornet freewheel, the stem and the Patina Kustoms bars that just showed up today. Instead of putting together a low-slung custom, I'm going to build a more upscale country rambling middleweight out of the Typhoon that I've been using as a klunker/strandie for the last two years or so.
It's going to get some nice touring/MTB cranks and brakes, aluminum fenders, and maybe even (GASP!) a chainguard. Not sure, but the girder fork may get thrown on the spare parts pile for use in a future build.

Watch this space for photos, coming soon!

Lot of changes underway for you. New BO project and down to one TSP now. I liked that Oldster build alot.
Good luck with the new direction

Well, here's a quick pic of the mock up before I completely lost the sun.
IMG_20180618_194538_435.jpg

Will feature Paul Components brakes, White Industries 3NO crankset, Mr. Tick layback seatpost, and that Gigantor stem from @rev106 at Genuine Bicycle Products. I had @karfer67 make the center of those bars extra-wide just to clear its burliness.
Like that one ol'bat used to say, "It takes a village."

A few notes:
  1. The stem isn't inserted all the way into the steerer because it was a tighter fit than I wanted to fight with for a temporary photo situation.
  2. Color isn't going to stay gold. I'm thinking gloss black will be just fine. Maybe with some striping?
  3. Bars were made with the stretch in mind. I may save the for the next project, but I won't know for sure until I ride it.
  4. Forks are pretty cool - would be great with some canti brakes.
  5. Will have to weld/braze a rear brake bridge in for the Paul Racer centerpull that I have.
  6. The red seat and pedals aren't staying.
  7. As I said before, this bike is my keeper. Except for the wheels, which will likely end up becoming a back-up set after the build-off is over, everything I am doing to this bike is with an eye to keeping/riding it for the rest of my cycling future.

Springer forks look great, but I feel they "sponge off" some forward momentum. If it's gonna be a keeper, I'll bet you'll be happier with a solid fork, maybe with truss rods for a more vintage look.

Since switching over to rebuilding my "forever bike", and basically thrown away any chance of winning the build off (never really a priority), it feels remarkably freeing. I am attempting to do this one with a majority of vintage, hand-built and US-made parts. Yes, the wheels are definitely from the far east, but they came bolted to a bike with a Schwinn nameplate on it, so I'm going to go with it. Besides, there are a pair of nice BMX hubs that I've been saving for the right wheel build, so after this is all over, it may end up with sets of "street" and "trail" wheels/tires.

Springer forks look great, but I feel they "sponge off" some forward momentum. If it's gonna be a keeper, I'll bet you'll be happier with a solid fork, maybe with truss rods for a more vintage look.
That's my thought process. Just ordered a set of Paul Components V-brakes for the front, which have enough adjustability to allow me to run 650B rims with brake posts placed for a 26" diameter wheel.

So names... I seem to be willing to spend a little more on this Typhoon than I was on the DX. Consider this my "gold chain" build, eh? Hmmm..., "Tycoon," maybe? I'll be happy to hear the suggestions that come from this bunch.

I like the "Tycoon" name, especially if you worked up a decal with the Typhoon lettering.

Latest posts

Back