Tybee Siren

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Doc, but you have to speed up the process :wink: I wanna see this DONE :mrgreen:

He's got until July 3rd!

I wish, we're planning on being in Tybee Sunday the 1st!I'm just hoping I can figure out how to haul possibly 4 bikes (3 of them heavy cruisers) on the back of my wife's 1995 Volvo wagon for almost 300 miles!

Honestly, once I get past this weekend (state competition with my daughter's school), things will REALLY free up for me. right now, the wheels are my biggest hurdle to overcome. I have the handlebars in transit, I can easily piece together the headset, do a quick mock up, figure out the lighting then paint and assembly.

Don't worry, this baby WILL GET BUILT!

Cheers,
Dr. T

scott brownsey said:
tires r sweet
Yeah, they're a little different. The Mrs. didn't care for the knobbies or 'Goodyear' patterned ones I showed her and since no one makes a 24x2.125 whitewall with a 'brick' pattern, I/she got these.

In other news, I've decided to use the original fenders. The back was always going on, but after some TLC (and proper bending and hammering) the front will work too. I was able put some etching primer on the chainguard, but that's it until Sunday night at the soonest.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey skills,
There's been a 'little' progress, nothing picture worthy though.
Mostly gathering the 'smalls' like new fender braces, seatpost(s), cool tire valve covers, Crane bell, etc.....

I still need to get some 11g spokes and nipples for the Worksman trike rims! I've found some at http://www.huskybicycles.com, just gotta bite the bullet and order them.

What I REALLY need is a lead on sandblasting services in the Greater Atlanta area. I'm having a difficult time finding someone who does small jobs like bike frames/fenders vs. industrial work.

Anybody know someone?

Cheers,
Dr.T

Making some progress on the build, FINALLY broke down and bought some 11g spokes/nipples for the rims. Can't wait until they come in, I'm AMP'D to try and lace up my first set of wheels. I may have to drill out the hubs to fit those spikes, I mean spokes. Knowing I'd have to do it, my hubs are both large flange units and made from aluminum, so there's plenty of room between holes and aluminum is rather soft. They are gonna be rock solid when complete.

Other than that, I've been stripping/sanding/smoothing the chainguard, fenders and rear rack. It's a tedious process, but therapeutic at the same time. Hopefully, I'll get them all into primer this weekend.

As for the frame, got a lead on some sandblasting services, will follow up on that on Monday.

That's it for now, hopefully I'll be posting pics of my new wheels by next weekend!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Yeah I understand I got nuttin fancy is my build an it was driven me nuts so I went a totaly diferent route now its going to be my daily rider an I'm way happier with where its headin I actuly found a set of wheels that goes perfect with my paint so I got lucky I think anyway I'm going to be keeping up with your build

Guess who tried lacing his first wheel?

Yep, me. Was a lot easier than I thought, thanks YouTube!
These 11g spokes are HUGE!. Got some extras, so I may be putting them up for sale soon!

DSCF3485.jpg

DSCF3486.jpg

Even though I did a BUNCH of research, the spokes are WAY too long! DANG! :x
DSCF3487.jpg

To try fix it, I ordered a new sealed bearing unit from eBay with a lot smaller flange hopefully the spokes will fit now. Not nearly as cool as the vintage ACS, but should run a lot smoother, so....

My next hurdle will be figuring out what to do with the rear, the Nexus 7 hub is even bigger, maybe (since I'm an expert now :lol: :lol:) I'll try a 4 cross pattern to use up the extra length or I'll have even MORE extras to sell.. :mrgreen:

Just bit the 'money bullet' and purchased the Electra Gigi seat and matching grips.. :roll:
Also, found a guy who will blast the frame for $25 :!:

Got the fenders and rack into filler primer, will try to get a coat of white color primer on over the weekend, who knows maybe some color coats too... :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Got the new hub, drilled it to accept the 11g spokes and laced it up. It's still not perfect, the spokes are still about 1/4" too long. Can I just cut them off a little? There's plenty of threads on them..... Would going to a cross-4 help?

Anyway, look what arrived in the mail today!
DSCF3488.jpg

Gonna tie the seat into the rest of the bike with orange pinstriping and graphics. I may even repaint the headbadge to match.

Also, dropped off the frame at the sandblaster today, hopefully should get it over the weekend.

Was also surfing Electra's site and found this chainring, it looks a LOT like the stock Monark...hmmmm....
429291_LG.jpg

Stay tuned....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Looking good Tank, I am planing on lacing up my SA5 to a 24" rim, so I may be checking with you soon to learn from your success and problems.

kf254,
No problem, I'm going to drill out the Nexus 7 coaster next and try a cross 4 on it.

In other news, I had to eat lunch at my desk today while on a boring conference call, so what's a RatRodder to do? Design the chainguard art, what else? I'm still searching for a good mermaid image, but which font looks best?

First, the inspiration Monark graphics
P1014505.jpg

Now, my spin on it.

Fancy script?
TSFancyfont.jpg

Pirate script?
TSPiratefont.jpg

Of something in between?
TSInbetweenfont.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to sand down the glazing putty on the fenders and rack and get them into color primer (white) tonight.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Well, it's not a bike at the moment.... :mrgreen:

Just got a call, the frame is sandblasted, so I'll pick it up over the weekend and hopefully start any needed bodywork.

As for the rest, it looks like this:
rack, still needs a little glazing putty on the deeper pitting.
IMG_20120518_075204.jpg

front fender and chainguard, in primer.
IMG_20120518_075151.jpg

pieces and parts.
IMG_20120518_075108-1.jpg

Since the bike was so complete from the start, and I'm not 'enhancing' it (other than drive train) with any fork upgrades or over sized tires, I won't be doing much mock-up. i expect to go straight from primer to paint to assembly.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back