Tybee Siren

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is a build for my wife. She collects mermaids (sirens of the seas) and loves Tybee Island GA (hopefully our future residence). So, the bike will be called Tybee Siren.

The bike will be a refurb-mod of a 24" 1950 Monark ladies model 1310.
I posted the frame in 'Fresh Finds', http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53287&p=507123&hilit=1950+Monark#p507123but decided to go ahead and start a build thread.

As I stated in the other thread, the intent of this build is to keep it simple, retain as much of the stock bike as possible, while updating the drivetrain. All the while, giving it a 'beachy' feel. The color scheme will be aqua blue with cream/white accents (probably gonna throw in a mermaid or two and/or an image of the Tybee lighthouse).

I purchased the bike from forum member 'bicycles123' from his CL ad for the frame. In addition to the frame he threw in the fork (slightly bent unfortunately), the crank, chainring, kickstand, both fenders (more on them later), the stem/handlebars, the headbadge, front hub, New Departure Model D rear, a basket, seatpost and seat! Basically, a whole bike except for wheels and a chain! :mrgreen:

So, here's the parts or intended parts list so far:
frame: 1950 Monark
fork: 24" NOS Ashtabula
crank: refurbed original
chainring: refurbed 44 tooth original
chainguard: 1950s Monark 'Speedster'
rear rack: refurbed original
wheels: 24" Worksman
tires: 24 x 2.125
front hub: ?
rear hub: Nexus 7-seas (I mean 7-speed) coaster
saddle: possibly an Electra 'Gigi' w/matching grips
lights: TBD, but you know me..... :roll:
fenders: deep crescent set of Shelby's (the original rear is fine, but I needed a front and found this set)
pedals: cream Felt cruiser pedals

So, let's get into it!
Haven't done anything to the frame yet, I still need to trace/measure/record the original paint details
IMG_1452-1.jpg

Did some work on the crank (cute little dogleg type) and the chainring
before:
IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

after a week long vinegar bath and a visit to the wire wheel and steel wool/WD40 (sprayed the back with etching primer and some gunmetal 'textured' paint
DSCF3338.jpg

DSCF3335.jpg

DSCF3336.jpg

cleaned up the kickstand a bit
before:
IMG_1465.jpg

after getting same treatment as the crank/chainring
DSCF3340.jpg

That's it now, sprayed some chemical stripper to the chainguard and rack, but it didn't take well, gonna go do it again now.

Cheers,
Dr. T

The Mrs. picked these up from eBay, I hope the whitewalls are as wide as they look

KGrHqYOKm8E6IOJqMbiBOu0yPOpB60_57.jpg

KGrHqRjIE6IprjQjRBOu0v3fV7g60_57.jpg

I also got a chrome KMC 410H heavy duty chain, an NOS Wald seatpost (the original is just too far gone), a set of NOS steering bearings, and a replacement rear reflector that I'll turn into an LED tail light.

This is coming together pretty quickly (for one of my builds :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Dr. T

Looking forward to maybe seeing this in the summer "neighbor". :wink:

Got the NOS Ashtabula forks today!
KGrHqYOKjoE1s1RjMtcBNucIhpCJQ_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKjkE1uDQBwyMBNucIEiqw_3.jpg

AND the fenders from forum member zedsn, thanks again sir!

shelby24inchfenders.jpg

Too bad I won't be able to do anything with them for a while....too much 'other' life stuff.. :(

Stay tuned, I've got other goodies on the way.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Tybee Siren - first mock ups

Here's a few pics of the parts and work done so far.
Still debating on a tank.....could be a great place for pinups mermaid artwork.....

stripped the chainguard and rear rack today, put the fork/fender together, threw on some 26" truss rods (not sure if I'm doing any yet). The wheels are some 24" S7s I had laying around, the Worksman rims and the tires should be here this week.
overall:
DSCF3357.jpg

chainguard and rack:
DSCF3358.jpg

fork and fender:
DSCF3359.jpg

'til next time..

Cheers,
Dr. T

This is gonna be as cool, if not BETTER, than your build off bike! 8)
Great work Doc! :wink:

HEY DOC!! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLIN' ME...GET TA BUILDIN'!! :mrgreen: PEACE

I was at Tybee island yesterday. Down from beaufort. Its beautiful down there. The closest ill get to huntington beach Ca on the east coast so far. Lets see some more pictures!

We love Tybee, plan to move there when our daughter leaves for college in about 6 years.

No new pics, but did get an NOS Wald vintage seat post and NOS steering bearings from Marty at 1018 Kustoms (member here, AWESOME guy, with GREAT parts prices). The KMC 410H heavy duty chain came too (it's actually silver, not chrome as advertised, it's better this way )

Tires,tubes and rims expected by week's end. May have to buy a new front hub, found some sealed bearing units on eBay for under $10 bucks shipped. This bike is gonna be ridden VERY lightly, so I don't foresee needing any heavy duty spokes (although there's a chance the Worksman rims are coming off a trike, so they may be as high 10 gauge!)

Pics of that stuff (well, maybe not the tubes :mrgreen: ) coming soon!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Got the rims today, and all I can say is WOW!
I've never owned Worksman rims before, this puppies are beastly! I think they were off a trike.

typical before
DSCF3367.jpg

after a few minutes with a Scotchbrite pad and some vinegar
DSCF3368.jpg

these are so wide and flat, it's sitting beside a 26 x 1.75 Weinmann
DSCF3365.jpg

digging the 'clinchers'
DSCF3370.jpg

That's about it for now....got the tires, they look good. Should get the cream colored Felt cruiser pedals tomorrow!

More soon.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Looking great so far. Cant wait to see some more progress. I'm about to start an old ladies Monark very similar to this for my GF.

Work has been INSANE lately, not much time to work on the old girl. The Felt pedals came in today, they are a lot larger than I expected, should be easy to pedal in flip-flops and margaritas.

DSCF3394.jpg

DSCF3399.jpg

She picked her paint too. Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze and Ivory, both glossy. Still thinking about a pinstripe/trim color. Steel gray? Orange? Dark Blue? Wadda you think?

DSCF3397.jpg

The ivory is a pretty good match to the pedals.

DSCF3398.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Working on a front hub and some 11g spokes and nipples. Stay tuned... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

im excited to see the out come. my sled is in pieces right now. Id love to get a ride on Tybee.

I think the dark blue would be better for the pinstriping.

Hey Tank, I just realized that my Nature Boy avatar looks a little like your old avatar. Your's was funnier though.

I like the idea of the dark blue as well. i think it would lend more to a 'vintage' bicycle.

However, orange would pop and tie in the Electra Gigi saddle that I'm looking at.
electra_598568_back_09_f.jpg

As far as my old avatar, it's from a site for dentures, you know what, think i'm gonna change it back! :mrgreen:

Now, if i look at your first, then mine, they say WOOOOOO! AHHHHHH!

Cheers,
Dr .T

Maybe that is Rick Flair without the wig and makeup!!!

Progress has slowed a bit, should pick up next week though! This week I received the front hub from mikesbikes36, it's an old heavy duty aluminum ACS BMX large flange dated 10 75 (October 1975 I'm guessing). Well, no pics of the during, but I tore it apart and soaked the steel parts in vinegar for a few days. Repacked the hub (my first believe it or not) and polished it with my new Dremel (my dad's from 197? finally gave up the ghost). So.....

Before:
fronthub01.jpg

After:
DSCF3413.jpg

Now, just gotta get some 11G spokes and nipples for those WIDE Worksman rims so I can try my hand at lacing my first set of wheels. They are so wide they make the 24 x 2.125 tires look like they're 'low profile'. The more I look at them, the more I think I'm building a 'donk'! :roll: :mrgreen:
DSCF3414.jpg

DSCF3416.jpg

Stay tuned....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back