Two modern bikes and an old lady.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here's what I picked up this week.. There are more but these are the ones I played with today.
The mountain bike I talked about in another thread, the Schwinn(yeah right..) Cruiser is a prospect for another 700 rim and maybe a 3 speed, and the monarch?? Firestone Cruiser I just couldn't walk away from .Earlier in the weekend I picked up a near perfect Ladies Cranbrook and a junior size Mountain bike so we might have some donors with parts now..
DSCN1247_zps6jn1gshs.jpg

DSCN1232_zpsi1dqp80c.jpg

Here I was mocking up lady Firestone with some 26 inch rubber....
DSCN1262_zpsmmkxfoos.jpg

Here's the Firestone after some cleaning with steel wool and lacquer thinner (not!)
DSCN1244_zpsmbpzkqgl.jpg

I'm thinking of swapping out the crank and wheels from the Cranbrook so it is ridable until I find the right stuff.

ANd here's the Schwinn which was given up for junk:
DSCN1250_zpslss8b0xe.jpg

It has nice crunchy rotating assemblies.. gonna have to do some cleaning and greasing soon. It is amazingly light and I love the big front tire. I might go for a mate on the back with a multispeed hub. I wonder if an old School Sturmey Archer would work in there..

Gotta go, gotta be somewhere in 20 minutes...

Last edited:
That blue Schwinn sure has some funky dropouts.:cool:
yup....weird, like they welded them on in the wrong place..
DSCN1260_zpsx1ask6wc.jpg

I googled the Windwood and found out they came with a rack and a bobbed rear fender,, that's what went in the two tabs. Boy, did they have a fugly chain guard..

Last edited:
I had some time today to play with my bikes so I did some seriousl thrashing.. Got a rack on my Mesa, fixed a kids bike for sale, and tore apart the Cranbrook.. Put the wheels and crank on the Lady...and the bars on the Schwinn. Did a bit of straightening on the rack.

DSCN1269_zpsmvbe6le5.jpg

I think I'm going to have some Cranbrook pieces available soon...:dance2:

Trying to decide what color the wheels would look good in. Plastidip white??

Fenders will go back on once I get all the uglies straightened out...This bike has been thru some very rough handling at one point. And wouldn't ya know, the Cranbrook chain isn't long enough either.

I do any more I'm gonna have to start a project thread.

Here's the bike inspector at work..
DSCN1270_zps7aeclymb.jpg

Last edited:
"Wouldn't ya know, the Cranbrook chain isn't long enough either."
Wally world will sell you a new chain in a box that's also too short! :crazy:

Latest posts

Back