Twist grip shifter relocate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont remember where I stumbled across this, but I dont think it was here........
Anyway, it is so clean and cool (wish I had pics, but you will get the idea).
The twistgrip shifters are (moslty?) made to fit 7/8" dia. bars.
They also make a 7/8" 'stubbie' mount for other handlebar 'accessories' to be mounted up front off the bars.
Put the stubbie off the seatpost and mount the twistshift to it for a jockey shift.

I did something similar on one of my bikes...works great!:

d52e7501.jpg

470ea1ef.jpg

d92cf86c.jpg

eaf4c1a3.jpg

wimpy said:
Just cut it at the length you want. At least with the Shimano 3-speed and the SRAM 3-speed. When using other hubs,I'm not sure.

Then do you have to crimp anything back onto the end of the cable so that it works with the shifter? Usualy they have a ball or something crimped on the end of the cable which would be gone when you cut it.

alaskairhog said:
wimpy said:
Just cut it at the length you want. At least with the Shimano 3-speed and the SRAM 3-speed. When using other hubs,I'm not sure.

Then do you have to crimp anything back onto the end of the cable so that it works with the shifter? Usualy they have a ball or something crimped on the end of the cable which would be gone when you cut it.

Not with the Shimano and SRAM 3-speeds.

Shimano Nexus works with a clamp-system inside the bell crank. So it's just a matter of putting the cable-end between the two clamps (red circle) and tighten the screw (painted blue in the pic). Sorry for the bad pic (cellphone).

The SRAM works with little plastic "box", into which the cable goes on the topside and the little shiftchain on the downside. You can cut the cable at any length.

very nice, thank you for the description. Looking forward to converting mine to jockey shifter! I wasn't thinking straight, I was only considering the cutting the other end but this makes perfect sence.

Latest posts

Back