1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There is a solution for the broken Photobucket image issue on forums. If you use Firefox or Chrome, go into the Extensions (Chrome) or Add-Ons (Firefox) and search for "Photobucket Embed Fix" - it will have an icon that looks like a green piece from a jigsaw puzzle. Install the extension/add-on, restart your browser (Chrome) and you should be able to see all of the Photbucket images again.
    Dismiss Notice

Twist grip shifter relocate

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by gcrank1, Mar 5, 2012.

1. gcrank1

gcrank1

I dont remember where I stumbled across this, but I dont think it was here........
    Anyway, it is so clean and cool (wish I had pics, but you will get the idea).
    The twistgrip shifters are (moslty?) made to fit 7/8" dia. bars.
    They also make a 7/8" 'stubbie' mount for other handlebar 'accessories' to be mounted up front off the bars.
    Put the stubbie off the seatpost and mount the twistshift to it for a jockey shift.

2. wheelymarko

wheelymarko

Cool :idea:

3. ED-PV

ED-PV

I did something similar on one of my bikes...works great!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. wheelymarko

wheelymarko

Thats freekin sweet! :idea:

5. alaskairhog

alaskairhog

Did you use a shorter cable or did you just cut the original cable and re-use it?

6. wimpy

wimpy

Just cut it at the length you want. At least with the Shimano 3-speed and the SRAM 3-speed. When using other hubs,I'm not sure.

7. alaskairhog

alaskairhog

Then do you have to crimp anything back onto the end of the cable so that it works with the shifter? Usualy they have a ball or something crimped on the end of the cable which would be gone when you cut it.

8. DaBigKahuna

DaBigKahuna

Where'd you get the mount?

9. wimpy

wimpy

Not with the Shimano and SRAM 3-speeds.
    [​IMG]

Shimano Nexus works with a clamp-system inside the bell crank. So it's just a matter of putting the cable-end between the two clamps (red circle) and tighten the screw (painted blue in the pic). Sorry for the bad pic (cellphone).
    [​IMG]

The SRAM works with little plastic "box", into which the cable goes on the topside and the little shiftchain on the downside. You can cut the cable at any length. [​IMG]

10. alaskairhog

alaskairhog

very nice, thank you for the description. Looking forward to converting mine to jockey shifter! I wasn't thinking straight, I was only considering the cutting the other end but this makes perfect sence.

11. ED-PV

ED-PV

That particular mount came off of a hand cycle. I have not been able to locate another one, but I did find this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Light-and ... d_sim_sg_5

I am planning on ordering one to see if I could re-locate a 7 speed twist shifter.