Truing stands

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Man's truing stand... flip a frame upside down, bolt in wheel. Apply masking tape across chain stays approx 1/8" from rim. Mark center of frame on masking tape with Sharpie, then mark width of rim from center mark (5/8 each side of center for 1 1/4 rim). Start truing! Make the rim match the marks and check for roundness at the 1/8 margin.

DSCF6364.JPG

I bought mine probably 20 years ago. A cheap one I'm sure.

My LBS uses a Var identical to this, my Park stand is faster to set up for me but my LBS can't stand them. Guess it's just whatever your comfortable with. Also have the wheel alignment attachment for my bike stand too. It works fine but it's a little clumsy.

860485_DSC01168.jpg

I just tru my wheels inside the frame usually or in a spare fork. I made some feeler gauges from thin strips of wood cut on my table saw. Then use a cheap spring loaded clamp to hold those close to the rim.

Ok call it what ya want but it works for me! I started building wheels about six months ago, (these are old pics). it has a counter weight on the front now and a Lat. runout gauge on it, 24 in frame with old kid bike fork no brgs. mt. bike stem and bars. I put heat shirnk on end of the bolts. its a little bulky but I move it around
all the time any way. USA Murray not harmed in this process !
]
MiscPictures026.jpg

[
MiscPictures027.jpg
/img]

Latest posts

Back