"Trot Rot"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here we go!

Trottinette is french for scooter. Rot, is well, just rotten. My wife and I haven't been biking to much for a few years, we still do. but we mostly do scooting. It's different, a lot slower pace, easy to mount or dismount. Easy to transport (much lighter). I find myself enjoying the little things on our rides....That's enough old talk!

The plan is to take this Columbia Rambler (?), that I just bought from member Fat Willy, and turn it into what would look like a barn find, if Columbia made scoots. Or maybe a Rat Rod scooter. I found a few Ramblers that were mint, for a decent price. But I wanted one that looked ratty, without making it look that way.............Oh by the way, member Fat Willy was pretty easy to deal with. So without "rambling" on to much, here's what I'm waiting for in the mail.

Trot Rot....the beginning.

EDIT: It's a Columbia Thunderbolt, not Rambler.

EDIT: Thank you Photobucket for blocking ten years worth of photos on this and all sites!
Here's what the bike looked like in the beginning.

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

Last edited:
Good set of bones to start with.

Be interesting to see a scoot, I don't think anyone has done one in a build off.
I believe there was one around 2009.

I started this one in build off 9. That was the last thing I worked on. I'm really sorry I didn't finish it. Not happening this time.

009.JPG

2929f024-8efe-4f4c-9bad-f51dd0eee8e1_zps2f19004b.JPG

Last edited:
So you get the idea of what we're using, when we scoot.
These have Alexrims DA22 with kevlar belted tires pumped up to 110psi. It takes very little effort to get these things rolling.

008 (2).JPG

c480f4ef-fef0-4653-beb3-126264c6908e_zpsbe363b76.JPG

These are for traveling or using in crowded areas.

IMG_0001-Copy-1.JPG

1901023_zpsch2rsepj.JPG

Last edited:
There was some conversation in another thread about the possibility of a scooter build off.

Falstaff, there was an unofficial scooter build off in 2011. Some nice scoots came out of that. I saw that custom Pre-War scooter years ago, that's when I became interested in them. Absolutely gorgeous, but that thing HAD to be a beast to push around. Not knocking it...I don't think I can build one that looks that good!

I'm like you Carl. need to build one. It has been on my mind for a few years. Hmmmm? A great idea. Just was not sure if it was allowed in the builds(no pedals) But I guess if it rolls and works why not.
Love the idea Kota,will be watching this one.

Definitely a unique build! Hope you post a lot of step-by-step in your journal. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Waiting for frame to arrive. It's all planned out in my head. I should put it down on paper before I forget. After getting rid of all my "stuff", I'll be pretty limited on what I'll use. I want to make it so it will still be recognized as a Columbia Thunderbolt, front and back.

I'm like you Carl. need to build one. It has been on my mind for a few years. Hmmmm? A great idea. Just was not sure if it was allowed in the builds(no pedals) But I guess if it rolls and works why not.
Love the idea Kota,will be watching this one.
Well it "started" the build off with pedals. :banana:

It's so cool to see you back in the fray brother!
Looking forward to seeing you put your style on a barn find scooter build.

It's so cool to see you back in the fray brother!
Looking forward to seeing you put your style on a barn find scooter build.
Thanks!...The front will be raked out, but not with a bend. Still waiting for frame arrival.

Latest posts

Back