TRM Christy Saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they are reversed in the mold. They will read correctly in the seat pan when it comes out of the mold.

Polished 3.jpg

The first TRM Christy has been started!

The mold received 15 wax applications over this past weekend. This morning the work started on the first part in the virgin mold.
Here's the gelcoat going on:

After spending some time yesterday with the industry leading street rod interior expert Paul Atkins, the process is in place for producing the leather TRM Christy seat pads! This will be a much more comfy ride than the original horse hair saddles from 1895!
101_2895.jpg

101_2889.jpg

101_2881.jpg

Check out more of Paul's work HERE!

The first new TRM Christy is completely assembled! Production will begin soon!

The ride is a little stiffer than I had expected, but I weight a little over 150 lbs so that should be a good thing for heavier riders.

101_2960.jpg
101_2920.jpg
101_2927.jpg
101_2932.jpg
101_2936.JPG
101_2937.JPG
101_2939.JPG
101_2943.JPG

Came out great! Is the spring frame made for it or from something else? I like that bolt in the front, too—carriage bolt with shaved sides?

Thanks!
The frame was not made specifically for this project, but with a little modification it worked really well.

That bolt has been a source of contention from the start. After endless searching I found what I thought would be a very close replica from a company in China but in the end it fell through. The bolt pictured is indeed a carriage bolt with the sides machined down. I wanted to avoid more labor in producing these, but just couldn't get around it.

Should be able to switch out the springs to get a customized ride for us lightweights.
I know I've got a few old rusty and busted saddles with good springs.
I'll probably offer it in several different options: complete, without frame, without leather, etc. so that DIY builders can put their own spin on it.

The Modern Masters paints on this with some aging product for patina should look sufficiently old for someone who wants that. I don't see one that's specifically nickel, but there are plenty of silvers, so something could be figured out. Not sure how well it will last being rubbed by clothing, but that's something TBD.

The new TRM Christy Saddles are now available! The introductory price is $150 with free shipping (lower 48). Quantities are limited but more will be arriving next month. Message me for purchasing info.
1897 TRM Christy ad.jpg

Latest posts

Back