Trike conversion???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to convert my daughters 26" Schwinn Hollywood into a trike. Could anyone give me some pointers on doing so? What would be the best way to do the conversion. I'd like to find an original Schwinn trike set up rather than an after market one.

some of the lowrider bike parts places sell a bolt on back end for doing this. Not sure if they make one for 26"???
Can always cut a back end off a donor trike and weld on.

My wife has a Schwinn Town and Country trike. The base frame is a 24" girls frame and the trike kit just bolts into the rear drop outs and braces to the seat stays. The trike rear end should be compatible with a 26" frame. The down side is that the wheels are 24" S-6 rims and the hubs are special trike hubs. I am going to relace the hubs to some wider standard rims over the winter to allow wider tires on the back.

I had another bolt on trike kit a while back from Murray (?). It used a standard wheel set. The front rim bolted into dropouts on the right side while a rear coaster wheel bolted into the left side. It would only fit middle weight tires as it was. This one had a tragic run in with the road and my trailer on the way to a swap meet at 65MPH.

Here is the non-Schwinn trike kit
20p3amt.jpg

I have a trike rearend i would sell ya, it has 24 inch wheels on it right now but you could put 26 on it. let me know if your interested i will put up some pics.

Ok, if this info. could help you i had to wait patiently to convert a regular 1953 schwinn 26inch girl's frame in to a trike my self,here you will always find a friendly hand to help you in any proyect but like anything everything takes time and patience .

my proyect ended up just as i wanted something diffrent like i said before it is a 26inch frame but the rear trike set up is from a 24inch non schwinn that i got from a verry good member of this wonderfull site , ( Chris ) unchained ,the frame i also got from another great member( Robert ) Road Master it was simple after that.

By the frame been a 26inch and rear 24inch wheel set up i had to find a 24inch front fork NOS uncut SCHWINN wish it was a task but it got found at my local bike shop ( thank's Maisonet :wink: ) it was pure luck.

My proyect when in it's way here are some pic's.

trike5.jpg

trike3.jpg

trikechaingardmod.jpg

trikephantomrepopchaingard.jpg

hope this will help you !, you will find what you need here give it some time and it will get to you . good luck on you're proyect !

If I was you, I'd try to find a trike with a differential. The direct drive to one wheel is o.k. but the "dif" is THE choice!
Direct drive to both wheels sucks! Also a 3 speed rear would really give you a great ride!
Good luck,
Chainsaw

here is the best trike rearend that I have found, has diff, will bolt up to any frame, it is a Schwinn,
0327091006-01.jpg
qq310/olschbp/0327091006-00.jpg[/IMG]
0520091725-00.jpg

olschbp said:
here is the best trike rearend that I have found, has diff, will bolt up to any frame, it is a Schwinn,
0327091006-01.jpg
qq310/olschbp/0327091006-00.jpg[/IMG]
0520091725-00.jpg

I'm still trying to score a deal on one of these!! These sellers down here are killing me with there asking prices!

Hello. I am new to this site but not new to building bikes. the lowrider sites do have 2 different styles of trike kits available. one is the traditional style that uses a back wheel and a front wheel for the conversion and the other is the "shwinn" style which uses what they call hollow hubs. they come in 20 and 26 inch wheel sizes. another option is to try and score on a schwinn town and country and take the rear from it if you want to keep the same frame that you have. the benefits to having the hollow hubs style kit is that you do not have to have the cage that holds the basket in place to use the kit so you can make any style rear end compartment to it. good luck trying to find one cheap. the used ones are out there but hard to find.

Meeba said:
Hello. I am new to this site but not new to building bikes. the lowrider sites do have 2 different styles of trike kits available. one is the traditional style that uses a back wheel and a front wheel for the conversion and the other is the "shwinn" style which uses what they call hollow hubs. they come in 20 and 26 inch wheel sizes. another option is to try and score on a schwinn town and country and take the rear from it if you want to keep the same frame that you have. the benefits to having the hollow hubs style kit is that you do not have to have the cage that holds the basket in place to use the kit so you can make any style rear end compartment to it. good luck trying to find one cheap. the used ones are out there but hard to find.

Those lowrider hollow hub rear ends use only 1 rear wheel for drive, full time, and the other spins freely. As far as I've been able to learn, the mid/late 70's to early 80's Schwinn T&C's used differential rear ends, and with the exception of an older Huffy model, no other trikes, or trike kits, use a dif. If anyone knows differently, please speak up.

Also, I've seen the Schwinn dif rear ends used without the basket support cage, so I'm not sure why you say it's required.

Those lowrider hollow hub rear ends use only 1 rear wheel for drive, full time, and the other spins freely. As far as I've been able to learn, the mid/late 70's to early 80's Schwinn T&C's used differential rear ends, and with the exception of an older Huffy model, no other trikes, or trike kits, use a dif. If anyone knows differently, please speak up.

Also, I've seen the Schwinn dif rear ends used without the basket support cage, so I'm not sure why you say it's required.[/quote]

Wow, I went into my basement to check my trike kit from the T&C and saw that i does have a diff. I never really looked at it, just picked it up and put it away for a future build. That was a very interesting point you made and I learned something new.

Regarding the support cage, I was refeering to the non hollow hub styles. the ones that use a front and a rear wheel in hier setup. I was trying to say that the hollow hub styles do not really need the basket cage or basket to be usable. Sorry if there was any confusion.

udallcustombikes that is a schwinn. i have had 6 of them over the years and they r great, i would like to find another, but anyway modern schwinn trikes have 26" wheels and r cheap to buy new. the meridian is only 275 at walmart

rico, you do in fact have a schwinn rear end. as i said b4 i have had many of them, in fact i think i have a chromed out cage i never used for my old lowrider if i have it i will post it for sale

Postby Drummerboy1975 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm
I want to convert my daughters 26" Schwinn Hollywood into a trike. Could anyone give me some pointers on doing so? What would be the best way to do the conversion. I'd like to find an original Schwinn trike set up rather than an after market one.

Drummerboy1975

it wont be old school but technically original schwinn has the meridian for 275$ at walmart you can use the rear of that

Rooski said:
Meeba said:

Also, I've seen the Schwinn dif rear ends used without the basket support cage, so I'm not sure why you say it's required.
I wasnt aware of any other trikes that use a differential other than my columbia trike with the peerless 100 axle. It also has a 3speed mid drive with coaster brake. I honestly dont know how it even works because the whole axle spins. I cant find any info on the thing online. I do know tbat the axle acts as a posi but goes open when it turns. It has a few things keeping me from putting it on the road.
Trike003.jpg

Trike005.jpg

Trike008.jpMG]

Add g[I to it and itll pop up its drivetrain picture. Trying to edit a post on my phone greatly anhers me to the point of tossong it out the winow. Im ready to smash this zte with my 3lbs sledge.

Latest posts

Back