Tricky Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I was thinking about not entering the build off, but I figured the worst that could happen is that I don't finish in time. I plan on building this tricycle for a friend so I might as use it in the build off. Not 100% sure of what my end game is but I would like to put larger wheels and tires, which will mean fork mods and that long head tube looks like an issue so I may cut the frame weld on a new neck tube. I'm thinking about a springer front fork and apes. I started to disassemble the rear axle which is giving me issues being that it is so rusted and I am having trouble finding parts like bearings for the shaft. Looking forward to the build and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Good Luck to everyone!!!!!!
CE015292-F11E-4858-834A-29AE0DE6F24D_zpspu1ndydg.jpg

Good idea I never thought about trying that, I think I'm gonna 86 the whole front frame from the chain stays and seat stays forward so I can put a larger wheel up front. We'll see, Thanks for the advice though, so many smart ideas floating around this website.

I always wanted a trike... until I got one. haha Can't wait to see what you do with yours, I still like trikes, mine was just too heavy (Worksman Industrial).

You may want to check Fastenal.com for your bearings. They were the least expensive I could find, and they seem to have everything.

Briefly checked out both websites, Thanks. I'm not sure what size I need yet but glad to see all of my options. Now I just need to figure out how to get the axle out. I've been researching and I think I may know how but I'm on a 48hr shift and have a lot or stuff to do tomorrow so I don't know when I'll be able to look at it and work on it again. At least I have a lot of time to think about it and get ideas though.

I can't help but think of this every time I read your thread....

<div style="text-align:center;width:300px;padding-top:3px;"><object width="294" height="193"><param name="movie" value="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="294" height="193"></embed></object></div>

You have to love the old trikes...
I came across one of these here on the Rock,I was so excited.Checked it out and rust had almost completed it's job...I asked the scrapyard for the rear end,told them where to cut...Came back next day,and I almost burst into tears...They had chopped it into nothing...What a waste,all I can salvage is the rear hub...

Here are my donor bikes

73FEA7CB-7980-4694-BA72-9CD7202AC2A0_zpskl9zm22y.jpg

CE015292-F11E-4858-834A-29AE0DE6F24D_zpspu1ndydg.jpg

here is my mod. still have some coping. Gonna weld the tubes to the bottom bracket then cut the seat stays so I can and get them welded to the seat tube on the back side. I'm putting 20" wheels on the back and 26" on the front. Kinda big wheel look maybe with a little rack and chop on the front. Not really sure what its gonna look like I'M just winging it. Handlebars are getting 86 and may try to springer the front, not sure yet.

F9024E1C-3D2B-4A05-AD58-A12B9E3AAA13_zpsiwsgetu5.jpg

Yea I thought of of the that. I'm gonna throw a few tack welds on and that will be my next step. What do you think the min. clearance can be?

I can't help but think of this every time I read your thread....

<div style="text-align:center;width:300px;padding-top:3px;"><object width="294" height="193"><param name="movie" value="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="294" height="193"></embed></object></div>

Run DMC never came across my mind but now I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a gold chain into the build.

Latest posts

Back