Tribute to the Columbia #48 a 1897 Tandem Bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like always I have way too many projects going on. This one is in danger of being operational soon so I thought I'd make a post about it. I've been poking away at this for a year now. Off and on:eek:) It's a modern version of a old tandem bicycle. It will have Disc brakes, a 8 speed Sturmey Archer rear hub, and be welded up out of modern Chrome molly Steel tube.

Here is a page out of the catalog.

model47and48columbiatan.jpg

I started with a front hub. I want this sucker to stop if needed so we built a hub that will hold 2 disc brakes. Here is how they started.

Columbia001_zps56605fc6.jpg

A little CNC time and the disc brake bolt holes and the spoke holes were drilled. I also profiled the ends a little.

Columbia006_zps7116b68c.jpg

Back onto my lathe and I found this under all that aluminum.

Columbia009_zpsbfe0b241.jpg

Columbia008_zpsff9fc6c2.jpg

I took the hub over to my buddy and he polished it up for me. He's a pretty great guy:eek:)

Columbia020_zps49302d20.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good.

Columbia019_zps0b82e01a.jpg

The eccentric bottom brackets that we bought had a ton of clearance in them. We thought it was too much and I decided to machine some new pieces.

Columbia003_zps6d5aefa3.jpg

A little cutting and a lot of filing and these appeared\o/

Columbia004_zps7d3a4f36.jpg

Here it is with the eccentric installed.

Columbia005_zps6efe0301.jpg

The outside will clamp on the eccentric to keep the chains tight. We made some little clamp pieces. Here they are tacked into place. Later I will braze them on. After I braze them on I'll slit the bottom bracket and they will become clamps.

Columbia007_zps6440185b.jpg

The drop outs on this will be the modern style. I turned these on my lathe and then milled a slot in each one. These are for the rear wheel.

Dropouts001_zpsa3516317.jpg

I made some extras for my buddy.

Dropouts002_zpsfae121ad.jpg

The frame went went together pretty fast. Another buddy of mine has a frame table and did most of the frame for me.

Columbia010_zpse8f2893f.jpg

We made the chain stays out of 3/4" round tube. It is squished and dimpled so the tire clears it. The dropouts were tacked on. With the rear wheel we got everything close.

Columbia011_zpsd46d75e7.jpg

My buddy has a jig to check to see if the dropouts were still lined up after welding. we were off a little.

Columbia013_zpsa2344b48.jpg

A little muscle.

Columbia014_zpsc7c02380.jpg

And we're good to go\o/

Columbia015_zps86f5dfe2.jpg

Then we made the seat stays and welded them on.

Columbia016_zps8f0002fe.jpg

An action shot just because:eek:)

Columbia017_zpsb4982088.jpg

I think this bike looks neat because it has a set of upper chain stays. We got them welded on. They were some fork tubes that were lying around.

Columbia022_zps836560e3.jpg

They turned out pretty nice:eek:) Here is the back wheel all laced up with the 8 speed and new shoes\o/

Columbia023_zpsc98b99dd.jpg

Getting pretty excited now. She will be longer than the Queen Marry I think.

Columbia024_zps4da84bbd.jpg

Here is where I am now. I'm picking it up on Friday and it will be mine to finish. I still need to get seats and pedals. I have to figure out the steering. This will steer from both seats so I need to make a linkage. I'll be trying to get this done pretty quickly.

Thanks for watching.

~Wes~

Wow! Simply outstanding work!
I think your signature line sums it up perfectly: “Those that say it can't be done should get out of the way of those doing it”
Well done, cant wait to see it riding around!

Luke.

NICE :shock: very professional fabrication work and nice job on the machined hubs, will be watching this :)
i had a little vision : the girl says "lets go left" the guy says "lets go right" they end up going ..well ...not so straight :lol:

Latest posts

Back