Tribute to our friends

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
naw she would be fine i think we will make anyone who wants vote for the classes this year that way we can enter too lol. this bike is just sick i am a total sucker for details and this one is loaded. i have seen slick's paint work mark u cant go wrong with him. oh and if you need some lines laid down on her let me know i owe you anyways.

Maybe tomorrow i'll throw a teaser picture up of some of the purple paint i have over here..........HMMM............... :D Actually, maybe we should keep it top secret til it's a finished bike!!!! LOL!!!!!

slick said:
. . . maybe we should keep it top secret til it's a finished bike!!!! LOL!!!!!
Too late, Slick. I think someone has read this by now, so the secret will be out! :lol:

slick said:
. . . throw a teaser picture up of some of the purple paint . . .
How about two-tone with flames? :p
922f9cdd.jpg

On a serious note, and I’m speaking for my daughter as well, thanks so very much for all the kind, encouraging words and offers of help. It is really difficult to put into words how much it means to us. The comradery on RatRodBikes sets this forum apart from anything else on the web and we feel privileged to be a part of it!

That paint scheme wouldn't be hard at all. THat purple is actually pretty close to what I have over here. I actually have a 50's pink also. It's an exact match to those pink sky king art deco repop trycycles with the full fenders on them. I can lighten it up to make it more pale like the car and less straining on the eyes.

Greg didn't tell me? I just thought that purple I had over here would look sick on there. Lucky guess I guess? I'll dig through my stash and see what else I have in there. I have 2 6' tall fireproof (no pun intended) paint cabinets full of leftovers from old jobs i've done in the past.

champx said:
it's awesome!!
like your work!

can i take your idea of the top bar opening? :D
Merci pour le compliment champx! :D
Nous avons mis nos idées ici sur RatRodBikes afin que vous puissiez les utiliser.
«L'imitation est la forme la plus sincère de flatterie" :wink:
Nous sommes impatients de voir votre création moto unique!

Findin' a home for "Lampy"

Thank you all again for all the compliments! I honestly appreciate it about as much as I can, which is a whole lot.
Now, onto the topic of bikes! Here I am sanding the pretty chrome off my fender to prepare it for the next step . . . the addition of a taillight!
T-LFenderWork009.jpg

Here is where my dad cut a couple holes in the fender on the drill press. Notice the two sharpie lines in the middle. The fender is ‘bout 5" wide so we sat the sharpie on top of a 2 1/4" block, sat the fender on its side, and drew a line. Next we flipped the fender and repeated the process. This gave us the approximate center line for our cutout.
T-LFenderWork017.jpg

Next a Dremel with a cutoff wheel was used to cut out the areas between the two holes. Then, a drum sander in the drum press was used for finishing shaping the cutout.
T-LFenderWork026.jpg

Here is our handy dandy alignment tool we used to hold the taillight housing while tack welding it to the fender! It is a piece of wood that was cut to fit snugly inside this tubing. The 4 40 screws in the taillight housing were used to clamp it to the wood. Sorry we don’t have a picture of it in the fender . . . At the end there is an arrow in directly the middle of the stick that will be placed in between the two sharpie lines. It helped us position it in three directions: left and right, up and down, and side to side.
T-LFenderWork062.jpg

Next my nice daddy Mig welded the housing to my fender . . .

Here I am smoothing down the welds with a flapper wheel.
T-LFenderWork066.jpg

Great job on the build so far. It's great to check back each day and see what progress has been made. I can't wait to see you sitting on the finished bike!

I do have a question, though. How to you turn Lampy on? :?:

Do you just reach up under the fender and push the button? Or did you rig up some sort of switch to turn it on?

Knowing how creative you have been with everything so far I can imagine some custom tubing welded to the underside of the fender with wiring running through it - leading up to a switch somewhere. But maybe you went old style and you just reach under there and hit the button on the flashlight to turn it on.

Keep up the good work. This one is going to look great when you are done! :D

Latest posts

Back