Tribute to our friends

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This frame is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I want one! I wouldn't be surprised if a big company like Felt starts making some like this. The lines and shape of the hole flow very well. Now get back out there and finish it! No rest at all. We are all waiting to see this one!

Wow! That idea is better than anything I would have come up with. Scrumblero nailed it: "The anti-tank". I think we're going to see more of them, and you were the one who started it. 8) Great work and very precise too! All that extra effort is worth it when you look at your perfect results. Thanks for the updates, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

This is amazing! Very creative and well thought out. Great craftsmanship all around. Don't worry about being photo heavy builders like that. We can see what and how you are doing things. Don't be surprised if someone else tries what you're doing here on their own build. I know I would if I had a welder. Keep up the great work!

Thanks to all for the positive comments! After taking the advice of fellow RRB Forum member, greg66, we decided to go without the stock chain guard. Here I am using the cutoff wheel to hack off the chain guard mounting tabs.
LChopTank010.jpg

Here is one of the tabs before being removed.
LChopTank009.jpg

These are chain guard mounting tabs and brake post tabs that we cut off that we don’t need anymore.
laylaschopperg054.jpg

This is how the frame looks after removing all the tabs and such.
laylaschopperg059.jpg

Also notice that this is a teaser with the back fender. It is two OCC fenders that will be spliced together in due time . . .

YA THATS WHY THEY CALL THEM CHOPPERS.YOU PUT THE CHOP IN CHOPPER WITH THAT GRINDER GOOD JOB.THIS WILL BE THE COOLEST OCC BIKE IN SACRAMENTO .CAN'T WAIT TO ROLL WITH YOU ON 2ND SATURDAY WITH YOUR NEW BIKE. 8) :mrgreen:

spliced, split, and welded fender

We now have the two stock fenders ready to splice together. First, we took them to a belt sander to get nice straight edges to weld. Also note those ½ inch thick spacers stuck to the bottom of the fenders. We use those to get the fender spaced evenly over the tire while fitting to the frame.
LChopTank014.jpg

This is a piece of sheet metal we had left over after fitting new floor pans into our VW. It will be used to back-up the splice in the fender.
LChopTank015.jpg

Here is the strip fitted inside the fender.
LChopTank020.jpg

From the outside.
LChopTank021.jpg

The fender with a couple of tack welds. In order to get the fenders to fit, we had to shrink the metal of one of them with the torch and it was TERRIFYING!!!!! I guess that stuff “made in China” isn’t always 100% accurate.
LChopTank023.jpg

This is the inside of the weld.
LChopTank027.jpg

After some grinding and a little hammer /dolly work, here I am with my beautiful new fender! :D
LChopTank025.jpg

Here is a before and after shot . . . Notice the fender is spaced off the tire with the spacers.
820be7f9.jpg

This is my little brother’s stock OCC bike, used here as a comparison to my fender.
89f44a63.jpg

That's awesome! Looks so much better. Now are you going to reshape the back of the fender all pointy or maybe cut some holes out in it so it looks like one of the real OCC fenders on the show? That would be sick! Nobody has done that yet on a chopper bicycle?

Makin' a sissy bar!

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments!!!:D And thanks slick for the suggestion, but we are going for more of a modernized old school vibe. So with that, we are going to build a tall sissy bar.
:idea: We got the idea from this thread . . .
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33748&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
Thanks to Graylock and scrumblero we made this awesome sissy bar! :D

Here is a piece of ½” round steel tubing. We capped the ends with some ol’ bolts we had layin around and packed it full of sand. This pic is after bending it, cold, around a CO2 bottle. Thanks also to greg66 for kickin' down the tubing to us! :D
LChopTank043.jpg

This is the pie cut we made. We made the cut open more at the front so the point at the top would bend towards the rear.
LChopTank045.jpg

Here it is after being bent to close the cut.
LChopTank047.jpg

Here you can see the bend towards the back . . .
LChopTank048.jpg

Here it is after being welded, filed, and sanded.
LChopTank053.jpg

It will be positioned something like this . . .
LChopTank064.jpg

is that u in a dress ...u cant cut n weld in a dress !!!! LOL really u r doin an awsome job on this i cant wait till ur all done ! r u gonna do the paint urself ? what color r ya thinkin ? keep up the good work !!! MIKE

Latest posts

Back