Tribute to our friends

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad (Fireproof) and I are building a new OCC chopper to replace my bike that was stolen after this year's Rat Bike Rodeo. Look here for some background info . . . viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31862

We had some frames and parts kicked down to us by RRB forum members Kuttnhack and davethecreep to get us started . . . THANKS GUYS!
I decided that since I’m getting taller, I better make this bike a bigger one . . . and thus, my new, stretched OCC chopper was born. The first step was to take measurements from my dad’s Schwinn Spoiler and from a stock OCC bike and then compare them. I then decided that while the difference was about nine inches, I would stretch it two thirds of the way towards the Spoiler . . . six inches.

Here it is after its been stretched . . .

Picture003.jpg

That's where the cut was made and tack welded . . .

ledchopper002.jpg

Here's a close-up. Those spots on either side of the seam are plug welds where we inserted tubing to reinforce the joint.

Picture001.jpg

Note in the first photo how the top tubes don't line up, but that won't be a problem much longer . . . we plan to fix that! We tacked that short piece of square tubing in betwen the top tubes so that I could take it for a test ride to see if I liked how much I stretched it. But before this could take place, I learned how to use a chain breaker tool to extend the chain to fit the bike's new length.

Thanks for the compliments! The chain is now in place and I took a test ride. Good thing my dad put duct tape on the top bar so I wouldn't scratch my leg during the test ride.I love having a bike that actually fits me. :D After measuring the bike, we realized that we actually only stretched it about 5 3/4" as opposed to 6. But, we are going to have the opportunity to move the seat back an inch or so . . . and the longer frame will permit the seat to be slammed down to the frame which will add to the looks . . . but first, to take care of that scary lookin' top bar!

Our neighbor Mr. Lee was getting rid of an old exercise machine and my dad saw this bar on the machine and he thought it might be useful for something so, we’ll see if it’ll work for us . . .
ledchopper007.jpg

My dad let me take the picture and he said it would be cool if I showed you my Converse. :lol:

I started to cut out the top bar with a cutoff wheel . . .
ledchopper004.jpg

Alas, the cutoff wheel would not reach the inside of the tube so I had to use a mini hacksaw . . .
ledchopper005.jpg

Here's what it looks like after some work with a 60 grit flapper wheel . . .
ledchopper006.jpg

Now it looks like a girls bike! :lol:

What a great job you are doing!! I can’t wait to see what you do next and I love the Converse
picture!! :lol: I think that’s a RRB tradition! :shock:

Thanks for the positive comments!
After we cut the top bar out, we decided that the splice should be farther back, towards the seat post. That way the curve of the new top tube would transition more smoothly into the back of the frame. And, as a added benefit, the weld would be hidden under the seat. So, I trimmed the tube shorter . . . however, the new top tube is round, whereas the original Schwinn top tube was oval-shaped. So, we used the cutoff wheel to make four slits.
ledchopper008.jpg

The slits allowed us to hammer on the oval to fit the shape of the new tube.
ledchopper009.jpg

Here's the joint at the head tube, ready to be welded.
ledchopper010.jpg

My dad says its WAY past my bedtime, so that’s it for now. :roll:

This week, my nice dad got me a new hub and a few other things. This is my new coaster brake hub. It is a coaster so that when I paint my rims I wont have the paint ruined by the brake pads. And, as an added bonus, we won’t have a brake cable protruding from the handlebars. The chain tension adjusters will save the paint on the dropouts while keeping the chain tight. We will trim the screws later.
laylaschopperg006.jpg

A big thanks to Alan at Choppers U.S. for the super fast service. :D

Recently I decided that I wanted to do something different with my top bar. I started by marking it with some metal rod. That made a line exactly in the center of the tube.
a6318c67.jpg

Next, I started cutting along the line with the cutoff wheel.
17adc832.jpg

Here’s a closeup.
8608c542.jpg

Next, we torched the bottom portion of the tube and after it was red hot, I pulled it down lower. I was afraid to use the torch though so my dad did that part for me. I don’t like playing with fire. :D Notice how the end does not fit against the head tube. We have a plan to fix that.
000954eb.jpg

Here's a hose clamp used to mark and guide the cut on the lower portion of the tube. Here it is cut.
517623f9.jpg

We cut this piece out of the extra tubing left over from when we welded the top bar in.
d554b974.jpg

We used the 60 grit flapper wheel to trim the ends of the new piece until it fit like this.
412ab079.jpg

There it is welded in. We also welded in the little hole on the down tube. (Shown as seen in photo above)
6f6c5c40.jpg

wow look at u go nice work with the angle grinder. that is a really neat idea splitting the top tube.

Latest posts

Back