Trek mtb conversion to cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had a Trek Navigator 300 given to me recently.
KIMG1406.JPG

I'm working on a conversion to a street cruiser for my lady. It fits her nicely but it's kind of a pig so I have a few ideas. First things to go will be the heavy treaded MTB tires and the front shock forks. There's a couple nice things right off though, the adjustable angle stem is cool to get it to fit her.
KIMG1403.JPG
KIMG1402.JPG

The shock absorber seat post is cool for comfort and I'll be swapping out the handle bars too. The straight bars aren't really ergonomic. So I have added 2 1/2" to a set of mustache bars which provides enough room for the brakes and shifters. This should also turn your wrists to a comfortable natural angle.
KIMG1405.JPG
KIMG1404.JPG

6" of smaller pipe inside and some JB Weld, they ain't going anywhere... I'm hoping to get the bars at a height and angle comfortable for her wrists. I'm also pretty sure a set of smooth tires should lighten this thing up. It's not that bad with the aluminum frame but she'll never be going off road. I'm hoping a set of chrome landing gear forks I have will fit. Might be a little more nimble without the shock forks. We'll see.

Carl.

Last edited:
Ditched the bars and the little selector indicator.
9227063ef9da5799b9ef7cbbaf643277.jpg
020752afb534a37912cd65fdcbf4f0ee.jpg

Need to pick up some soft grips..
It'll give me an excuse to check out my LBS.

Carl.

Liking this, too much junk on most mtn bks for what most riders need.

Good plan on ditching suspension fork. Looks like 1" steertube, plenty of donor forks with brakes or without if you want to save the Landing Gear.

You could even drop the front derailleur, shifter and 2 chainrings. For casual riding 3-4 gears is plenty.

I agree, what guy walking into Walmart needs 24 speeds? Granted this isn't a bigbox bike but it isn't a top of the line Trek either. For now though the drive train stays intact. Mostly because it's in fine adjustment and has no issues. LBS could've ordered tires for me, but I opted for ordering my own. I also passed on the 40 dollar grips, too snooty for me.

Guitarl.

1 inch inside dimension...
It's a bigger 1 1/8" fork so I have nothing to swap it with in my boneyard... So for now it stays too...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back