Trek Jazz Street Life

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked this bike up last night for 15 bucks. Tires still have nipples but are dry rotted. Other than that, it is good to go! Did some research and it was built in early '90s and appears to be a precursor to the Trek 800 series bikes. This is a steel framed road bike that sold for about 250 or so when new.

Does anyone know anything about this bike?
5759c1238e4bcdd0523dcc622e424c18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the precursor to today's hybrid bikes. Steel frame with 700c wheels. These make awesome commuter bikes with some fenders and a rack.

Those are the precursor to today's hybrid bikes. Steel frame with 700c wheels. These make awesome commuter bikes with some fenders and a rack.

I was gonna order the tires last night but did not get a chance. I know they are 700c just not sure on the width. Thinking 25c but not sure. The lady I bought it from also had a nice 1972 ladies road bike that I just barely missed out on. She sold it for 25 bucks. Snoozed and I lost. [emoji20]

I don't think Trek made that frame. Only if it says "Trek, made in usa" on the frame would make it a Trek. Otherwise, it is a knockoff. Big difference.

I don't think Trek made that frame. Only if it says "Trek, made in usa" on the frame would make it a Trek. Otherwise, it is a knockoff. Big difference.

Frame was built in Taiwan for Trek. Jazz was Treks foray into childrens bikes and entry level adult bikes. Didn't last very long.

Cleaned it up and serviced. Tires were still good so I am keeping them. Shifts smooth as butter and the steel frame gives it a much smoother ride.
061e2f2cf94e457f8393f6e56917b6ae.jpg

521a0c7e02936ef5323321933050c822.jpg

147840f7b8d4b1f3d8390e5ad5782f7b.jpg

8e54439bd0e19f2831f54ce15cb768f6.jpg

0cfb4c503441816d3e5080b2ca4a98ce.jpg

Reminds me of a Trek I inherited, and almost forgot about; I had to ask people if it was theirs, and did they give it to me or was I just storing it.
So a couple of new tires and tubes and rides, and now I am hooked.

I have seen a 1993 Trek catalog with Jazz by Trek online, (forest green in that year).
My 830 Antelope (26" tires) "Trail Performance" is a 1992; so maybe those "street" bikes were concurrent.
My Trek also says made in Taiwan, and looks just like one in Trek catalog; I believe that it is a Trek.

The ride is really nice on the bike. Steel frame gives it a real solid feel on the road!

These make awesome commuter bikes with some fenders and a rack.
Along with tires and a fat comfort seat, what CMAN said is what I did with my Trek, converting a MTB to a commuter; and it looks like yours already came with a kickstand(!). I have a Wald 4" rise handlebar (black) to complete the conversion project.
Tires were still good so I am keeping them.
They cleaned-up well. I found on my 26" wheels that the front fork could accommodate 2.35" wide tires, and the rear only 2.1" - or else the chain would rub in some extreme gear combinations or sometimes while shifting.
I am slowly learning the fat and skinny about 700 (622mm), 28" and 29" tires.

Very, very 90's but a fun ride for sure! I had a Giant hybrid once, and I really thought about keeping it.

I have ridden and owned both steel and aluminum body bikes. There are pros and cons to each. I have an Electra 3i which is aluminum and my wife owns a Giant hybrid bike which is also aluminum. Great for camping trips because they are light and do well off pavement. But if you want a comfortable ride, you gotta go with steel frame bikes like this Trek. JM2C

Latest posts

Back