TREK buys Electra

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike shops get in their booking orders with the manufacturers for the new season usually by the end of September meaning that shops that carry Electra bikes had their orders placed for the 2014 model year in September 2013. Once this season is over and it's booking time again I can gaurantee the the only bike shops that are going to be ordering Electra bikes are Trek dealers. There is no way Trek purchased Electra with the intent that they would allow them to be sold in their competitors shops.

Not certain if my input has any bearing, as bikes are a passion and a hobby, rather than my career. My career has been involved in being acquired as well as working for a firm that acquired others. IF my experience in another industry means anything, Trek has been negotiating with Electra for a while, has tried and rejected a few scenarios to manage the transition, and ultimately decided to abandon detailed long-term plans. Trek is buying patents, access to a customer base and a few dealers that they didn't have, and a few bikes and parts in a warehouse. Detailed management plans can't be finalized very far out because the market may change. If Electra bikes keep selling, Trek will be happy to skim off a profit. If some sell, and some don't....

As regards the future, regional sales managers will have more to say about what happens to your local shop than you think. If the regional guy thinks he can generate sales, especially if he thinks a small dealer can be strong-armed into taking on Trek's competitors, that dealer will stay, and probably grow. Maybe even if he doesn't want to. The bike industry remains relatively flat, and in such a market increased sales come by taking them from someone else. A bike shop catering to countercultural types down the street from a mainstream shop selling mainstream bikes to mainstream clients might be a very sound plan...so long as each can sell enough to stay alive.

IMO, the cruiser thing is pretty localized; if Trek can get cruiser market penetration back home in Wisconsin, it will be a win. I'll bet Electra hasn't sold 100 bikes there in the last year. Trek might accomplish that, and that might actually be a win for cruiser aficianadoes.

I understand that the owners of Electra sold the company several years ago to a private equity firm, that maybe why we have seen things change over the years. It will be interesting to see what Trek does with Electra, but my thought is we will see distribution and production get better.

I just picked up(and slightly modifiied) a new Cruiser 1.

It's the last year before trek takes over and the first year that they made the tall frame in khaki. I'd be lying if I said the Trek takeover didn't play a part in my getting one sooner rather than later.

I've got 6 Electras. All are 3 speeds. I ride em all! And I bought all of them used. No idea what's gonna happen now... but lets face it... how many bikes can I buy anyway? LoL!

I have ridden a Townie or two, and I like the practicality of the Amsterdam and the looks of most Electra's that I've seen. What I don't care for is the exaggeration of them saying they have "Flat Foot Technology" when it really ain't so. So that bit of false advertising lowered my regard for Electra quite a while ago.

I have ridden a Townie or two, and I like the practicality of the Amsterdam and the looks of most Electra's that I've seen. What I don't care for is the exaggeration of them saying they have "Flat Foot Technology" when it really ain't so. So that bit of false advertising lowered my regard for Electra quite a while ago.
The "Flat Foot Technology" applies to the Townies only as I recall. We have a couple of them.

Can't say I care too much about this story; I haven't ever liked any post-Waterloo Treks, and I haven't ever liked Electras, ever. What I can say is that, throughout the company's history, Trek killed and ate each of it's acquisitions, as well as its own young...

So, yeah, the optimistic views for Electra seem highly unlikely, to me.

They aren't flat foot for all riders, but it is easier to touch the ground than any other traditional frame bike. The taller you arr, the less flat foot it is. The science behind flat foot are the forward cranks. Your leg extension goes out in front instead of down. The lower the saddle height, the more exaggerated the crank forward positioning is. When you are tall like me, you have the jack the seat up so much, the crank position isn't as much pushed fore as it is for a shorter rider. I could saddle my townie with the balls of both feet comfortably on the ground.

The "Flat Foot Technology" applies to the Townies only as I recall. We have a couple of them.
Yes, the Townies are what I'm referring to. If Electra could find one person out of a hundred for whom the Townie actually had "Flat Foot Technology", that isn't good to enough reason to make a claim or motto such as they did. MazdaFlyer, can you or anyone in your household set the seat height on your Townies to where you get proper full leg extension, and then be able to sit on the seat with your feet flat on the ground? A friend and I built a bike that had real Flat Foot Technology, and it was by putting the bottom bracket about 14" forward from usual placement. (It was made using parts from 2 frames) The Townie's is what, maybe 6" forward?

One factory built bike I have ridden that could more truthfully make a claim of having "Flat Foot Technology" is the Day Six bicycle. If you would like to try out a bike that is comfortable, with upright stance, and the ability to really push hard on the cranks, give them a try. The fantastic seat back and the forward crank on those bikes make that possible. The only problem with them is they really don't look 'cool', and probably haven't sold well because of that.

In response to previous post.
I'm 5-11 and have 26" 3s and 700c Townies. They both fit fine with leg extension and feet on the ground at rest. They aren't fast but they aren't meant to be. The 700c 21 speed has been on numerous comfortable 50 mile plus club and charity rides. The biggest issue is the fat seat. My wife's 26" 3 speed fits and works fine for her as well.
Electra's are fine bikes, let's hope Trek doesn't destroy the brand.

Yes, the Townies are what I'm referring to. If Electra could find one person out of a hundred for whom the Townie actually had "Flat Foot Technology", that isn't good to enough reason to make a claim or motto such as they did. MazdaFlyer, can you or anyone in your household set the seat height on your Townies to where you get proper full leg extension, and then be able to sit on the seat with your feet flat on the ground? A friend and I built a bike that had real Flat Foot Technology, and it was by putting the bottom bracket about 14" forward from usual placement. (It was made using parts from 2 frames) The Townie's is what, maybe 6" forward?

One factory built bike I have ridden that could more truthfully make a claim of having "Flat Foot Technology" is the Day Six bicycle. If you would like to try out a bike that is comfortable, with upright stance, and the ability to really push hard on the cranks, give them a try. The fantastic seat back and the forward crank on those bikes make that possible. The only problem with them is they really don't look 'cool', and probably haven't sold well because of that.
The other problem is the price tag of the DaySix bikes... $1000

Luke.

Received a newsletter from one of our local bike shops which is a Trek store. They are now an Electra dealer and will have bikes in March. The other LBS Trek dealer has been an Electra dealer for quite a few years. We have another shop which also sells Electra bikes, mostly Townies. At least things aren't changing drastically at this point, maybe some Market saturation at best.

My BikeE had true flat foot technology. It also had forward cranks.

bike_e_fx_01_lg.jpg

I've got two Electras now and I can't say I love 'em or hate 'em. They seem to be decent bikes, but somewhat heavy. I got one cheap as an e-bike for my wife and daughter to ride, then I came across the second at a fire sale price with a 7 speed Nexus hub. Swapped that hub out into the first bike and the Electra Deluxe it came out of will probably become my first rat rod.

Albeit a $200+ basic cruiser from Walmart.

I wouldn't take it as a blanket defense of things like 99 buck full suspension MTBs....
The first rule of bike club is; dont talk about 99$ walmart mtbs.

Latest posts

Back