Transporting your bikes. UPDATE! CHECK THIS OUT!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Transporting your bikes.

If your truck has a receiver hitch, a hitch rack is the way to go IMHO.
A bit expensive, but worth it.
If you want the bikes inside the bed of the truck, ignore this.

does this count?....lol

P7240071.jpg

i just got my truck this past fall so i haven't worked out the best way yet. what i've been doing is just put my bike alongside one side of the bed and hook a ratchet strap front to back on the truck side hooks so it presses the bike against the side of the bed. i haven't worried much about scratches so the few times i had two bikes in the truck i just tied them both in the same way, against each other.

about the only practical thing i could add is i have a chain on one of the front hooks with a decent pad lock so i can lock them in the bed also.

Here's what I came up with

5959968.jpg

6872595.jpg

With the tool box in, and the tailgate down, the front tires push up against the tool box. With the tool box out, the whole thing can slide forward, and the tailgate can go up. I pass ratchet straps under the 2 X 6's between the bottom pieces of plywood to dog down each bike.

8111938.jpg

I have seen a setup similar to that but it was in a trailer the size of a truck bed. Only it held 4 bikes. You just had to load them in a certain order to make sure the handlebars weren't damaging anything else. But once loaded and strapped they didn't move around.

This is one I saw on another forum. Actually it is the Electra Forum some of you may already are members. It is awesome! The Gentleman did one heck of a job. P.S. It is a "Dual rear" tire pick up truck I think.
Rack1.jpg
Rack2.jpg

cool ideas. I got a shortbox step side also, 4ft between the sides with no wheel wells in the box. I built basically a bike rack like they had at schools it fits in the front of the box and holds the front and bottom of the front tire so the bike wont fall over they will stay in the rack without a strap but I always strap them in for obvious reasons :) i made it out of a bunch of scrap wood i had laying around but it is a prototype as i always planned to make it out of steel. it can hold 4 bikes tightly but three comfortably with the center bike backwards although im only usually hauling 2 bikes. the new model will only be level with the top of the box so when not in use I can just leave it in there may also bolt it down and it wont stick up so much for now I just take it out when im not using it. Will post pics soon, its pissing rain and I dont wanna get wet :p

Ty

This is how I transport the family bikes when we go riding out of town. A couple of the bikes' tires are too wide for the rails, but I use my surfboard straps to ensure they don't go anywhere...work great!

86c8ac7e.jpg

ae0d35ff.jpg

c21ac773.gif

I purchased a bed rack for my pickup off of CL for $25-30. I mounted it a little differently as I have a hard retractable cover also. You do have to remove the front wheel.

Similar to this.
pick-up-bike-rack-3.jpg

The kids bikes just get strapped to the adult bikes for now.

SDC10513-1.jpg

I ran to the store real quick and did not have my phone on me, but there was guy that had 3 bikes in the back of an S10 and it was so simple I feel stupid for not thinking of it. He had wood in the stake holes, about 12 inches high, then had a threaded rod with an assortment of nuts and washers, he just torqued down the forks with the nuts and washers, and ran a bungy cord through the seat posts to the back stake holes.

Buck Masterson said:
I ran to the store real quick and did not have my phone on me, but there was guy that had 3 bikes in the back of an S10 and it was so simple I feel stupid for not thinking of it. He had wood in the stake holes, about 12 inches high, then had a threaded rod with an assortment of nuts and washers, he just torqued down the forks with the nuts and washers, and ran a bungy cord through the seat posts to the back stake holes.
Having trouble visualizing this. I need pics or a drawing :D

aka_locojoe said:
Buck Masterson said:
Having trouble visualizing this. I need pics or a drawing :D

Think of a clothes line.
TRANSPORT.png

Latest posts

Back