Trans-MIG-RaT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking transitional bike, frame almost looks factory produced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I said it before and I’ll say it again, one of my favorite builds to watch progress. Mad skills, sir!
I appreciate the vote of confidence! This build was a new adventure in design and a combination of techniques and ideas I have used on other builds, along with a couple of new ones.

Nickatomic sent me this photo he took of my visit to his booth at the Uptown Art Fair earlier this month.
He's got some rad art.
And I have some RaT art.

ArT oN~!

transmigratart booth.jpg

Always a treat to tune in and see what you're up to in the Back 40. This one was especially interesting. Probably the most transparent gender change I've seen. Really looks like a classic rat and the oddjobby hot rod vibe sets it off nicely. One of your best my friend.

very cool! was it a gap toothed chain and chain ring originally? asking because of the built=in chain tensioners on the frame :)

very cool! was it a gap toothed chain and chain ring originally? asking because of the built=in chain tensioners on the frame :)
Riley, it was a skip-toothed crank / cog / chain originally. I wanted to use the Nexus 4 spd internal hub, so I went with a more modern chain ring. Plus, that 4 spd is progressive, so I've found that you need a ring that is 36 t or less, or else your 1st isn't low enough for hills.

Always a treat to tune in and see what you're up to in the Back 40. This one was especially interesting. Probably the most transparent gender change I've seen. Really looks like a classic rat and the oddjobby hot rod vibe sets it off nicely. One of your best my friend.
Thanks Chad, I appreciate the kudos friend! Now if I could just figure out what the "oddjobby hot rod vibe" is so I can replicate that! :bigsmile:

I'm going to try and get a longer ride vid of this bike. It is a cool rider, different position than my others, but rolls along so smooth and takes the turns low with that lower position seat and the big tire contact patch.

Brother, this is my favorite build that you have done!
It is one beautiful fatty ratty! Excellent styling, of course ratifciation, and execution! Rat Hot Rodding at its best!!!
EXCELLENT!!!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

View attachment 100829

I started out with a girl's Hiawatha branded, CWC made frame and springer fork. The upper down tube from the girl's frame was cut out and then I cut the top tube and straight bar from a busted up '51 Schwinn and welded them on to the Hiawatha. From there on, it was pure RaT-isfying work!

Here is the build list for the Trans-MIG-RaT (transmigration - "the moving from one body to another, rebirth")

-1950's CWC made Hiawatha girl's frame and springer fork
-1951 Schwinn top tube and straight bar
-57 mm wide rimmed coaster wheel set / rear wheel refit with a Shimano Nexus 4 speed hub
-Custom shift lever for 4 speed
-Sunlite Sandy Beach tires 26 x 2.5
-Manhattan chain guard
-Vintage handlebars with Thompson coke bottle grips
-'80s bmx style pedals
-Lumintrail double kickstand
-'60s crank from a geared ten speed, big chain ring removed
-Brooks B-67 saddle
-Chopped rear stainless fender from a '30s Hawthorne
-Laid back seat post from ChopShopKustoms
-Royce Union headlight conversion to LED
-Rear tail light made from a trumpet mute, with magnet activated switch and LED conversion
-Custom fork struts made from 1/2" steel tubing and battery cable terminal ends
-Custom designed and laser cut metal 'virtual tank' flames
-RaT-ina paint treatment "Colonel Mustard did it in the BACK40 with spray cans (and mustard!) "

What I started with....

View attachment 100830

Some shots of the build along the way. Please see the build thread below for all the details and commentary!
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/trans-mig-rat.108692/

View attachment 100849 View attachment 100851 View attachment 100850 View attachment 100848 View attachment 100847 View attachment 100846 View attachment 100845 View attachment 100844 View attachment 100843 View attachment 100842 View attachment 100841 View attachment 100840 View attachment 100839 View attachment 100838 View attachment 100837 View attachment 100836 View attachment 100835 View attachment 100833 View attachment 100832 View attachment 100831

Thank you to this great community of builders for another RaT-astic and very RaT-isfying RRB Build Off!

Trans-MIG-RaT was created in the cozy confines of....
View attachment 100852
Iv'e got an old 39 CWC built girls Hiawatha bike i could build up like yours. This thing is Bad To the Bone. Gives me lots to think on. Thanks for sharing and RatOn... Razin.

Latest posts

Back