Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I draw a lot of my inspiration for patina, or as I call it, RaT-ina, from the rat rod vehicle guys. Today I joined some of my car fan buddies and we hung out for 5 hours at Back to The '50s car show at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. It's one of the largest in the nation, with 12,000 vehicles!

These are a few shots of the ratty rods I came across.
20190621_140327.jpg

20190621_134645.jpg

20190621_134435.jpg

20190621_134219.jpg

20190621_133753.jpg

And the inside of this really cool wagon...
20190621_133903.jpg

20190621_133857.jpg

20190621_134017.jpg

20190621_114616.jpg

I have mentioned before that my father-in-law, who's been gone for 10 years now, worked as a night watchman at the Schmidt Beer manufacturing plant right here in St Paul, MN. These days, the factory, rathskeller, and outlying buildings, have been converted into artist's lofts, kitschy food and drink nooks and crannies, and a boutique food court.

I rolled down there on Trans-RaT to check out some of the new digs and grabbed some photo opps along the way.

Another glorious Tuesday ...

$$$ Shot.jpg
Like this one!.jpg
Rusty and Crusty background.jpg
Dark and moody.jpg

Any favorites among these latest endeavors of my Ansel Adams impression?

I have mentioned before that my father-in-law, who's been gone for 10 years now, worked as a night watchman at the Schmidt Beer manufacturing plant right here in St Paul, MN. These days, the factory, rathskeller, and outlying buildings, have been converted into artist's lofts, kitschy food and drink nooks and crannies, and a boutique food court.

I rolled down there on Trans-RaT to check out some of the new digs and grabbed some photo opps along the way.

View attachment 98496 View attachment 98497 View attachment 98499 View attachment 98498

They are all good!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tons to love about this build. The 3D flames are awesome!
Great build OJ!!

Tons to love about this build. The 3D flames are awesome!
Great build OJ!!
Thanks buddy! I had a ton of fun building this one. And that's what it's all about. It's different from my other builds, which is what I try to incorporate into every build I do. Make it unique.

View attachment 98496 View attachment 98497 View attachment 98499 View attachment 98498

Ooh, da flames, super cool

The deck is done. Final result for those that were following along:

View attachment 97362 View attachment 97363 View attachment 97364

That left me one day to finish up the Trans-MIG-RaT in order to make my own personally imposed deadline of 'done by the end of the first week of June'.

The metal flame design went on without too much trouble.
First I drilled holes in the top of the straight bar, and screwed in two strips of 1/2 " x 1/8 " steel. I like this because it is soft enough to drill and bend with a wood vise and big hammer.

View attachment 97365

The best part is they were already rusty from sitting on the storage shelf in the BACK40 for 4 years!

Then I picked up some steel weld, a JB Weld competitor, and glued and clamped the braced flames to the upright mounts.
This stuff sets up in 6 minutes! Cured completely in about 16 hrs.

View attachment 97368 View attachment 97367 View attachment 97366

My small violin top repair clamps came in handy in the tight spaces.

Then, I mowed lawn and ate lunch and took her out for the first spin as a completed build! Here's the vid from Applewood Park:

View attachment 97370 View attachment 97371 View attachment 97369

RaT oN~!

Old news I know, but I'm not here much these days.
Deck looks good Lee, knowing the property it's on; it definitely fits well.

Old news I know, but I'm not here much these days.
Deck looks good Lee, knowing the property it's on; it definitely fits well.
Thanks man, good to hear from you! You know what they say, "Old news is good news", or something like that. :grin:

Digging this pic....angle lets you get the full 3d effect from the flames.

index.php

You ever mess around with the shift cover any more? It looks great as is but thought the cover was kind of interesting.
You just picked out my final photo! Thanks for bringing up the shift cover again. When I shortened the stick shift lever by about 3" or so, the cover became too large proportionately.

But now that you point it out, it does look 'incomplete' right in that area. I'm going to address that. Of course, then I'll have to find another perfect day for a photo at that location....:grin:

Latest posts

Back