Total noob with her first restoration project....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise not to inundate you guys/gals with questions, so I'm going to do a lot of my own research on how to restore a pretty decent shape 1959 Roadmaster Jet Pilot girls bike. Most of the fixes are costmetic; the bike rides pretty well. Just some rust to remove and some chrome touch-up, replacing a saddle and a few spokes and maybe some cooler tires. The body paint is in decent shape but I want this bike to be pretty (cuz I'm a redhead and I'm a girl and that's how we roll). The cream and turqouise paint is dull and I have friends with automotive spray booths that can get a pretty beautiful paint job on the frame, but I'm wondering if anyone has a source for custom decals? I'm not sure if the existing logos are painted or decals, but I'd be ok with just using decals.

Of course, any other tips you nice folks care to impart...I'm all ears!

There are a couple folks on here that do decal work, however, you can also go to a local sign shop. Most of those do custom vinyl graphics that you see on work trucks and company cars, etc. This is the same thing. You'll need either a good, clear photo of the old decal or a clean image of the artwork that you want to use. They should be able to take it from there.

I will note that the paintwork on a lot of these older bikes was done pretty well. If the finish is simply dull, but all (or mostly) intact, you might be surprised by how well it can be brought back with polishing compound and then waxing. If it's rusted, that's another story. But I've had old bikes like that shine up to like new again when they were dull and grimey before.

The bike is actually in pretty good shape; I'm almost tempted to not repaint it.

531284_10150885711124684_510749683_9547268_73794275_n.jpg

Starting to think that, too. Went out looking at other bikes of this era, and this one is in far better shape than most. A little rust on the metal but the paint is pretty decent. Might try just polishing and see how it goes. I think there are little cosmetic fixes I can make that will make big improvements before I commit to a repaint.

I'm suck a rank newbie at this; I'm pretty handy in general and have rebuilt a few road bikes in my distant past, but never attempted a vintage restoration. Any advice y'all care to throw at me would be most appreciated!

It looks like someone painted the seatpost...ugh. Silver paint or something. Not sure how hard it will be to replace that post, or if I should just try to take the paint off.

We all have to start somewhere. :wink:

Once you go over this bike you'll be surprised at how much you learn. Just taking stuff apart and putting it back together again is a great teacher. Take photos along the way if you feel like you won't remember how something goes back together.

If it were me I'd probably give it a good bath, then I'd go over all of the mechanical functions and clean and repack all of the bearings. If the rear hub seems like it's not stopping well I' probably tear it down and clean and repack it also.

Once all of that is done you can focus on customizing it the way you want...seat, grips, tires, etc.

I would absolutely not paint that one, unless it's far worse than the picture makes it look. Rub it out with polishing compound and wax it, and it'll probably shine. If it were me, I'd take it down to the frame (which should only take a couple hours) and just clean, polish, regrease and reassemble. I bet it'd look great with a weekend's worth of work.

If the seat post was originally chrome, then someone might've painted it after the chrome went bad. I have seen later seat posts that looked painted, but were really zinc plated and tarnished. But either way, unless the size is odd, you can replace it with a new Wald post. With a bike like that, most everything should be pretty standard in terms of sizes and threads.

Thanks for all the great input.

Feel free to pile on with the advice...you guys are the experts, I'm just here to be a sponge. 8)

Rat Rod said:
I don't think I'd paint that one...the original finish and graphics are just too cool.
+1... I've painted some old bikes from the 30's. Sorry I did. You can NEVER put it back.

Your seat post looks like it is cad plated to me. That's the standard finish on seat posts and fender braces. You could get a nice shiney chrome seat post, but the chrome is slick and the clamps don't hold them as well. Most bikes have a post just like yours. Gary

That's a very nice AMF Roadmaster. I always liked their seatposts from that model, it tightens like a handlebar stem. On mine I couldn't figure how to tighten it at first, there's no frame collar to snug it down with, the bolt is at the top of the stem. You take the seat off, then adjust it. Just like the handlebar stem, loosen the 1/2" bolt until it is higher than the top of the stem, then tap it with a hammer until the wedge down at the bottom of the stem drops free. Don't unbolt it all the way, just enough so it's loose. Then it goes back in to the height you want your seat, and you just tighten the bolt. Turn it to the right to tighten, "Rightey tightey, Leftey loosey" Your handlebar stem adjusts the same way. Make sure it's tight when you're done. There are only two things on your bike that tighten the other way, to the left, your left pedal and crank adjustment cone and nut.

As the graphics gut who could probably re due most of those graphics, I would not re paint it either. Looks fantastic and will be even better when you are done. Plus its cheaper.
Cheap advise, if you want it to be pretty, clean it, wax it, polish up the fenders put on some new grips and cool colored tire maybe a seat if this one wont clean up well, or you just want it customized. Then you should be good to go. This is of course after making it work well. Good luck, neat bike.

Goodonya Gal!
Clean and repack all the bearings, make sure the wheels are reasonably true and spokes tensioned properly and polish that fine fine paint.
Remember, they are only original once, a re-paint is just a re-paint, even if some call it a restoration.

Latest posts

Back