Tooled Leather Tank&Seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a 60's huffy and wanted a tank but couldn't find one so I decided to take up leather tooling as a hobby...
PhotoApr13103203AM_zps4ad0c50d.jpg

huffyafter_zpsfce21136.jpg

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

null-1-1.jpg

So how many years did it take to master your leather tooling hobby before you created that masterpiece of a tank!!!
You made it sound way toooooo easy!!
BRAVO!!

Thanks KingFish!! I just got into it about 2 months ago and realized I enjoyed it a ton. Here was my first big project for my sisters rat.

PhotoOct3051245PM-1.jpg

Wow?!!! Only 2 months!! Well you definitely have the knack for it. I love the work on that tank especially!!!

Re: Tooled Leather Tank&Seat

Beautiful work man.:cool::cool::cool:

Have you considered selling this type of stuff????

If you got this far in 2 months you're gonna be a rock star in 10.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Low n slow, I am buying up pan seats if I can get them at a good price and have started design on the art work for them. Once I am done I will start posting in the for sale section.

How did you stitch the leather to the pan? Did you drill the pan and the leather or just lace up the leather around the pan edges?

Thanks everyone for the feed back, I had fun putting this together. There is no tank at all, I grabbed a piece of closed cell foam which is pretty rigid and tucked it in the top tubes. I then shaped it with a rasp and a razor. I did a pre-fit of the leather soaked with water and formed it to the faux tank and let it dry to form. After that it was tool time.

As for the pan, I had to drill holes in it and rivet a piece of 2 inch leather to the underside all the way around. I then had to punch holes and stitch. There is a 1/4 inch of leather outside of the pan.

rat-a-tac said:
As for the pan, I had to drill holes in it and rivet a piece of 2 inch leather to the underside all the way around. I then had to punch holes and stitch. There is a 1/4 inch of leather outside of the pan.

Thanks...My uncle does leather tooling and we've been talking about how to attach the leather to the pan. I've seen lacing to the pan and also the way you've describe. Seems you could get a better stitch going leather to leather.

Thanks!

A-maze-ing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're a natural!

Re: Tooled Leather Tank&Seat

Man two months I can't wait to see what you turn out in a couple of years.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all the great feed back.

Latest posts

Back