Tire Size for Schwinn Suburban?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tire size is stock for a 1973 Suburban? Could it be 27" x 1 1/8"? If so would a 1 3/8" fit? Thanks!
P.s. What would the metric equivalent? 700 x 35? Thanks again!

bikeriderx said:
What tire size is stock for a 1973 Suburban? Could it be 27" x 1 1/8"? If so would a 1 3/8" fit? Thanks!
P.s. What would the metric equivalent? 700 x 35? Thanks again!

Original tire size for all the Schwinn 27" lightweights is 27x1-1/4". Original tires were almost certainly Schwinn Puff gumwall tires. Good luck finding any of those that are any good. Fortunately, lots of manufacturers still make a tire that will fit. Whether they call it 1-1/4 or 1-1/8 or whatever, the bead diameter of 27" tires is all the same. Should not generate confusion like the 26x1-3/8" size used on Schwinns cheaper bikes.

The bikes that used this size included the Varsity, Suburban, Continental, Super Sport, Sport Tourer, Superior, and a few other models that had shorter production runs.

A 700c wheelset can be a good modern replacement for these- that means replacing everything. You wouldn't be able to swap metric tires onto the original Schwinn steel rims.

I have gained a lot of respect for these bikes recently- they ride extremely comfortably and it just doesn't matter that they're heavy. I have sold two to friends and they love them. I've got another right now, a 1980 men's that's a sort of back-burner project. Should be a nice commuter bike when done.

--Rob

Thanks Rob!! :mrgreen: It's off the LBS Tuesday...! I'm really eager to get this one on the road!!

IMG_0530.jpg

Latest posts

Back